TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im planning on doing the JMOD on my 94 Tbird next weekend, im doing it to the mild setting with just drilling the holes out, no spring removal or swaps just drilling out the holes. I was just wondering is this really worth the work, does it really firm up your shifts that much by just drilling out the holes?

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,576 Posts
The "extra firm" settings come from leaving the springs out of the 2-3 accumulator and lower spring out of the 1-2. But yes, a lot of firmness comes from the increased hole sizes. I have the springs in the 1-2 and not in the 2-3 and it chirps the tires at WOT. Otherwise it's quick and snappy but not a jolt.

·
Super Moderator
7,698 Posts
Yes it is definitely worth it. Also, if you are doing this to a 94 trans, even if you are not taking the accumulator springs out, definitely put in the updated accumulator.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I have the JMOD....extra firm....it shifts VERY VERY VERY hard from 1-2...definately chirps tires....2-3 sometimes will chirp tires as well. It is worth it. Add a cooler while you're at it...between the j-mod and the cooler, I saw my trans fluid temps drop by 50 degrees over stock...or more. It is amazing.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
The J-mod is definitely worth it. Dollar for dollar, it's the best mod I've had done. It'll make your transmission last longer too due to less slippage in the clutches during shifts. The 1-2 shift on mine chirps the tires and the 2-3 shift is a lot firmer and faster. Even the 3-4 shift doesn't take as long as it used to. Definitely upgrade the 1-2 and 2-3 accumulator pistons to the newer style. I'd also say swap in a '96 and up transmission oil pan and filter for the greater capacity. The lower spring was left out of my 1-2 piston and I think there are no springs in my 2-3 piston too, if I recall correctly. As far as the drilled hole sizes go for the separator plates, I dunno, I'd have to ask RobertP since he did it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok im definetly gonna do it, i have no transmission experience so i just want to have full confidence before i drop the valve body. Im running below 300 hp as of now and i want firm shifts but not so firm to where its uncomftorable for daily driving, so what do you guys recomend as far as the springs to where i chirp the tires at WOT but daily driving shifts firm without snapping your neck?

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,576 Posts
Mild is where I'm at too, I think it's perfect for a daily driver. Dropping the valve body isn't much of an issue, as long as you read, re-read and read over yet again all the instructions in the tech articles. The first time I did it, I had it done in about four hours. The second time I was done in about two and a half.

·
Registered
1994 Tbird - JO'Neil long block, TFHS trans, Quarterhorse tuned
418 Posts
Make sure you have an in/lb torque wrench. Don't lose the check balls!

Second best mod I ever did. Leave the springs out and do add a cooler.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Im planning on doing the JMOD on my 94 Tbird next weekend, im doing it to the mild setting with just drilling the holes out, no spring removal or swaps just drilling out the holes. I was just wondering is this really worth the work, does it really firm up your shifts that much by just drilling out the holes?
I say being your POS 94 Tranny will die ANY day now it;s a TOTAL waste of time & tranny fluid.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Absolutely, Jmod with a cooler and a tune is a pleasure to drive an automatic.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I say go for it, even if it is a 94 trans with 200k on it. It will only make the clutches last longer. Like others have said, get the updated accumulator pistons. I got both the 1-2 and 2-3 pistons and both separator plate gaskets from the local Transmission Parts Supply. It was less than $40. Add in a case of Mercon V ~$50 and you have about a $100 shift kit that is better than anything else you can buy. My Jmodded 94 trans was awesome until I killed it by driving around doing WOT shifts with a bad TPS signal wire.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok im gonna check some local tranny shops than for those parts and the gaskets, my Tbird only has 50,000 miles on it so the engine and trans are in real good strong shape still, thank you everyone for the info!

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Be careful with transmission shops unless you know someone they don't want to help you with parts so they put a rediculous price on it. It is easier to buy a kit from someone like Me or RobertP or get the stuff from the dealer.
Alan

·
Registered
48 Posts
I tried to get a local shop I know to do this for me since I no longer have a garage. They were not interested, that's for sure. Priced it way out there so I would say no. Which I did.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts