TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been accepted in to the local carpenter's union as an apprentice. Anyone out there a carpenter? How do you like it? It sounds like a really good oppurtunity and starting out it would be more money than what I've ever made. what do you think?

·
Banned
3,083 Posts
Not sure if this will help ya, but my brother(s) did this for awhile prior to getting jobs in thier degree field, they liked the money, but sometimes the weather conditions and the amount of "hard labor" they would b*tch about.

like I said, not sure this helps you, but thats all I know.

Shane

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
congratulations and go for it! one of my buddys out here is a foreman in the carpenters union, and he makes quite a bit of money doing it. if you get bored out in the midwest, vegas is pretty big on trades right now, in fact all the work on the strip has to be done by unions, so there is plenty of work. It would be sweet to build your own house someday and save on the 200-400 percent markup on a new home.

·
Registered
251 Posts
i know 2 guys that are good family friends that are carpenters for a living.....
they both made a buncha money and have since branched out on thier own running thier own business. i'd look into it but i dont do too well with razorblades and neither did they :S lol

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Go for it man. I'm actually looking into being an electrician or hvac. Pretty much carpenters, electricians, hvac ect make some big bucks, plus if you do side jobs you can make a good living plus i heard no matter were you are the benefits are awesome. If you dont mind me asking how much is the starting pay?? and did you have to take a test to get accepted?

-Matt-

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
starting pay is $14.89/ hour. A good friend of mine is in the same union, he has only been in 2 years and makes a little over $20/ an hour. Journeyman wages are a little over 26 dollars an hour. There was one test; it goes over math, teamworking skills, and some other things.

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
I used to be a wannabe carpenter, or maybe you'd call it a carpenter's assistant.

It's an okay job, which I enjoy alot some days and hate others. It all depends on what you're doing and who you work for. You don't want to have the skills to do everything and still have to put up insulation for instance. On the bright side you aren't usually doing the same thing more than a few days in a row, and there's alot of thing you might do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts