TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 40 of 111 Posts

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
I was reading the online Beaumont Enterprise today, and a person was recently sent to jail for 22 years for killing someone for driving under the influence.
I dont want this DD example getting swept under the prison rug, she needs to be seen. I want her to have to look into people faces everyday and know she effed up hard in one of the worst examples of irresponsibility Ive seen lately. I want her to spend time behind bars as an example. Actually she should go out on a chain gang cleaning up the roads for a while, I think its a fair punishment. She can slave and repay her debt to society instead of just sitting around wait to get out, even though theres nothing anyone can do to undo the loss. We cant just start pretending to throw lightning bolts of justice, lets be logical.

The punishment should fit the crime, she didnt premeditate killing anyone in particular. I think the state should give her that highway to keep clean for a decade. I dont know...I just am venting myself here dont take it serious. Unneeded, sad, and tragic are what comes to mind, I just hope the family will carry on and remember the good he brought into their lives, its not an easy pill to swallow. I hope the fmaily can 1 day read JL posts to remember him as he was, a great man, not as he died. Just venting myself his close friends and family I wish them nothing but closure and peace.

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,116 Posts
If that's the same article I saw, it said it was a man who was sentenced. The driver of the Jeep was female.
The story I referred to had nothing to do with Johnny's incident. I answered a question on what the DUI laws were like in Texas. Here is the story:

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/default/article/UPDATE-Man-gets-22-years-for-intoxication-2438937.php

I know how the system works. I don't think you will see any charges laid against the woman in Johnny's case until the 16th of Jan give or take a few days. I don't know what the court system is like in Texas but a best case scenario is that the women will not be convicted until 6-7 months down the road.

·
Super Moderator
9,153 Posts
Gotcha. :)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
WOW. RIP Johnny. I was just doing my random I haven't been here in a while and I'm bored lurking and noticed this thread. This is terrible. Johnny was a great guy and a valuable member of this community. I hope the other driver gets the book thrown at her.

·
Super Moderator
10,330 Posts
I'd just like to say that I truly hope the Sorry-ass POS ho that murdered JL will almost-but-not-quite Die in a painful, gruesome way; then while broken and mutilated, be eaten by alive by rats.

Of course, After spending her life in prison. :mad:

·
Registered
855 Posts
I'd just like to say that I truly hope the Sorry-ass POS ho that murdered JL will almost-but-not-quite Die in a painful, gruesome way; then while broken and mutilated, be eaten by alive by rats.

Of course, After spending her life in prison. :mad:
I don't know about Texas but in Ct. it is too lenient. My nieces father was struck by a drunk driver on his motorcycle by a woman who 7 days prior had a DUI, she was sentenced to 7 years. I know of another person who was known for leaving bars driving while intoxicated he struck and killed two women, he was sentenced to 10 years. There are so many stories and it is the families left to deal with it. I don't drink much so I am usually a DD and I have driven people home who said if I was not there they would have driven home, that is scary.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I don't know about Texas but in Ct. it is too lenient. My nieces father was struck by a drunk driver on his motorcycle by a woman who 7 days prior had a DUI, she was sentenced to 7 years. I know of another person who was known for leaving bars driving while intoxicated he struck and killed two women, he was sentenced to 10 years. There are so many stories and it is the families left to deal with it. I don't drink much so I am usually a DD and I have driven people home who said if I was not there they would have driven home, that is scary.
Texas, like Florida, possesses and uses the death penalty! ;)

·
3,868 Posts
Texas, like Florida, possesses and uses the death penalty! ;)
I could care less if this woman dies because it still wont bring him back. I never met the guy and I even feel his loss. THe only thing that I can say went right was he spread his oats enough so one day a descendant will bring honor to his memory I hope through motorsports just like JL himself. I think it might be in his blood to be so mechanically inclined thats why I say that.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I could care less if this woman dies because it still wont bring him back. I never met the guy and I even feel his loss. THe only thing that I can say went right was he spread his oats enough so one day a descendant will bring honor to his memory I hope through motorsports just like JL himself. I think it might be in his blood to be so mechanically inclined thats why I say that.
That statement wasn't implying she is going to get the death penalty - AAMOF, I'm sure she won't; it was just a response what laws were in Conn.

·
3,868 Posts
That statement wasn't implying she is going to get the death penalty - AAMOF, I'm sure she won't; it was just a response what laws were in Conn.
No problem man Im just airing my feelings about it and death in general. Sometimes I think people dont even know what those(feelings) are anymore, not a jab at you btw or anyone here. I sure hope others closer can get the grieving and closure they need to carry with life and at the same time celebrate his too short yet full life. I know his family would prefer justice so I wouldnt want to be the one to refute their wishes. Like I said just airing my thoughts. No offense to anyone who may read more into it.

·
Super Moderator
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Found an intertesing article; not about the driver that hit Johnny, but about the cable barrier that launched her into his vehicle.

... still waiting for her name to be released and hear what the charges are going to be.

Friday, December 30, 2011

About cable barrier....

In light of this week's tragic wreck on Eastex Freeway, questions have been asked about whether cable barrier is the best solution for stopping cross-over wrecks.

For those of you not familiar with what happened, 36 year old Johnny Langton of Warren, TX, lost his life after a jeep crossed the median and hit his pickup truck head-on. This occurred, despite the fact there is a cable barrier system along that stretch of highway.

Some say a concrete barrier would have prevented the wreck. Others say cable barrier is the best prevention. What is best? Well, it depends on a lot of factors.

There is one very important fact to remember: No barrier technology exists that will eliminate every wreck. As long as there are vehicles and drivers there will, unfortunately, always be crashes. What transportation officials do is try to reduce the number and impact of those wrecks with the latest technologies available.

Much research goes into testing each device. Engineers do not install protection barrier without it first being test, evaluated and certified to meet specific criteria. Traffic safety engineers spend a lot of time...and money...testing barriers to see how each device operates.

CONCRETE TRAFFIC BARRIER

Despite what some believe, concrete traffic barrier is not always the best solution. Concrete barrier is designed to redirect, slow or stop an errant vehicle, and many times will push the vehicle back into traffic. In other words, it redirects the vehicle back into its travel lane...and into the vehicles around it. Also, concrete barrier is not impenetrable. There have been quite a few instances in our district where vehicles have actually gone over the barrier and into the oncoming lanes. When a vehicle hits concrete barrier there is a good probability it will take out the vehicles around it.

METAL GUARDRAIL

Metal guardrail works very much the same way as concrete traffic barrier except that it is metal supported by wooden or metal posts. However, this type of system is much more high maintenance, as once the metal guardrail is hit, it must be replaced.

WIRE CABLE BARRIER

Cable barrier works very much like the arresting cable that stops airplanes landing on aircraft carriers. Unlike concrete traffic barrier, it cushions the blow, slows the vehicle without throwing it back into traffic, and minimizes the forces on the vehicle and its occupants by absorbing most of the energy of the crash. That is a huge improvement over concrete and metal barrier. Also, research has shown that cable barrier reduces crossover crash fatalities by 90% or more. Many tragic wrecks are avoided by using cable barrier...wrecks that nobody ever hears about because the driver hits the barrier and drives away. We have evidence of this by the amount of repairs made to the cable barrier every week by our maintenance forces. Wire cable barrier has stopped not only cars, but speeding 18-wheelers. And earlier this year, cable barrier stopped a bus from crossing over into the median on I-10 near Winnie.

Is there a perfect barrier system that will stop all wrecks? Unfortunately, no. Not even cable barrier will do that. This latest tragic wreck on Eastex Freeway proves that. However, what engineers must do is use the latest technologies to try and reduce the impact of wrecks taking place on the highway. So far, cable barrier seems to do the job far better than the other systems available. One veteran transportation engineer went so far as to say cable barrier is "the best safety improvement I have seen in my 30 years with the department."

Hopefully, one day someone will invent the perfect system. Until then, however, transportation departments around the world must use the latest tools available. And drivers must do their part to drive safely and responsibly.

Marc S.

http://txdotbeaumont.blogspot.com/

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Yeh, I read that about a week ago while looking for the woman's name that caused the fatality and what, if any, charges were filed.....

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
We have had a lot of cable barriers installed in our area. One nearby mountain grade that was historically dangerous had the cable barriers installed first. While I believe they can prevent crossover accidents to a large extent, they are far from perfect. In some instances where a vehicle may otherwise harmlessly enter the median, they impact the cable barrier with more severe consequences.

I have to wonder also if cost is not often a factor in the choice of traffic barriers. :rolleyes:

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
In WV a handful of years back, WV expanded Interstate 81 to 3 lanes. They installed cable barriers in the center between the directions of traffic. After several accidents, some including tractor trailers, that ended in serious injuries or worse, they tore all the cable barriers out last year and put in a huge concrete barrier the whole way. I'm sure cost has a lot to do with it...there's no way anyone can think those are a safe way to stop a car.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am sold on the cable barriers. On one of my recent trips from Las Vegas to Salt Lake, I saw one arrest a tractor-trailer. Tore the crap out of the tractor but kept it from coming into oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Any information on the fate of the woman at fault? Whether or not she was or wasn't intoxicated and what course of action the authorities plan to take?

21 - 40 of 111 Posts