TCCoA Forums banner
81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 · (Edited)
Today I drove 53 miles non-stop. Mix of freeway and street. Code P1000 and P0402 is still there. Now also P1405.
Clogged EGR tube? It's a 96 EGR tube from the PI swap. Doubt the PO would install a clogged tube. Possible DPFE sensor issue?
Wondering why P1000 did not clear too.
my 2002 Crown Vic only took 40 miles for the computer to set all sensors.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,487 Posts
Probably a bogus or clogged DPFE sensor. Also check the wires to the sensor, and be sure the hoses are snug on the sensor/EGR tube and that they are not cracked or leaking.

My guess is the P1000 is still there because it can't run the EGR tests due to the DPFE issues.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 · (Edited)
The silicone hoses are in good shape. I tested the DPFE with a multi-meter. Took a reading off the top wire and got 0.6 volts. I pulled a vacuum on the front port and voltage went to 4.9 then back to 0.6 v when vacuum was released. So it looks like the aluminum PDFE if okay.
So I removed the vacuum line on top of the EGR and plugged that line with a golf tee (I do not golf). When I started it the idle was higher than normal (around 900). Then I put a little vacucm on the EGR and the engine stumbled. I then checked the vacuum line to the EGR and detected a tiny amount of vacuum, almost undetectable but enough to open the EGR valve some. As a test I swapped vacuum line positions on the EGR control solenoid, reconnected the EGR vacuum line and the idle stayed the same as it was when not connected (around 900). :)🍺
Now that is sorted I will have to go through this Lasota procedure again.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
After correcting all the vacuum line issues the last piece of the puzzle was swapping around the line connections to the EGR solenoid. BTW I did swap the egr sol lines early on but with existing vacuum issues it did not make any difference so I put it back to the way it was when I bought it.

Woke up before dawn, put my boots on.. I started the greenbird this morning. It started running almost instantly. I tapped the gas and it didn't die. I could tell right away it was much smoother than ever. Throttle response is crisp. Went for a ride (drive cycle per the owners manual). No CEL. It is a different car now.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Was not sure if I should start a new thread but I figured I would continue here as a continuing story of this greenbird.
When I bought it I noticed the AC was not blowing cold. The Aussie owner said f*&k AC I'm an Aussie.
So I put it aside assuming the AC system was toast. I had a 95 with a bad evaporator and went though the task of replacing it and the heater core while I was in that deep. I was dreading doing that again.
Now that it is running right I decided to check the AC. I put the gauges on it and it had zero pressure. I then had the system evacuated and oil added. I then charged it with 134A to 220 psi on the high side, a little below spec for the outside temp at sea level (it was 95 outside). 10 days later it's still blowing cold. It was 95 outside and at times got readings below 31f at the center vent. So happy. Love this car!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
The tail light tint is now gone. I like it better now. also swapped the rear wheels around so the "turbine rotors" are in the right direction. Six toed kitten approved.

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,734 Posts
Paint looks good, what are using on it?

Joe

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 · (Edited)
Just car wash soap and run of the mill wax that was in the trunk. If you saw it in person the paint is far from perfect. Huge WTF is that issues.

Reactions: supergordo

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 · (Edited)
And now for something completely different... Now that I am working again I can now get back to this thing on my lift. Need to replace some fuel lines and rebuild the brake calipers. Oddly enough this car is easy to work on. I have had it for eleven years. That is my home made slot car track leaning against the wall back there.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I would paint those center caps black to match, they stick out like a sore thumb. But that's just me.

Al

81 - 91 of 91 Posts