TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'98 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD 4.0 SOHC V6. Runs great. Very strong motor for a 6. I'm surprised by how tall it is. I'm looking eye to eye to Fullsize 4WD trucks. Feels great to have her back in a Ford again. That old S-10 Blazer was killing me on repairs. I feel like it owned my Saturdays.

Any tips from Explorer owners?

B

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A smooth 5spd auto. I saw some info on the timing chain issues. I need to research it more. There is a "volantary" recall on it, whatever that means. The only other concern I have is the composite intake cracking, though I haven't found that to be a problem in searches.
I think this thing has a variable length runner intake, I swear I feel it kicking in. It has a pretty good top end and strong torque.

B

·
Only you can prevent modular fires
1,446 Posts
I would have gotten the 5.0L one but thats just cuase I pull a trailer with mine

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the 5.0 too, but all the 5.0 are either AWD or 2WD. I wanted a low range for some of my favorite kayaking/fishing holes. The v6 has good power. The 5.0 would be easier to mod. But it is the wifes truck and if I mod anything it'll be the Bird. Can't be too picky when buying used. This one was really clean so we took it. I really wanted a Durango with the 5.9, but they didn't seem to reliable and all felt really loose.

B

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
$7600. KBB and the bank both had it at over $9000 retail. It was clean and the right price so took it. I was able to talk to the former owner who boughtit new. His name came up when i had the Ford Dealer run the VIN. They went ahead and ran Oasis and all the recalls had already been done.

B

1 - 7 of 7 Posts