TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just 6 bottles of valvoline mercon V for my 1996 3.8 v6 thunderbird.
Was wondering if this is a good brand to get.

Im hoping it will stop my shudder problem, when coming to a stop, and accelerating from low rpm....

im gonna give the car to the mechanic tommorow

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ya, it will do the job, i have it in my '89 Caprice right now. If you are doing a full flush, you will need 12 quarts. I used Motorcraft Mercon V for the Tbird since it was a little cheaper. The tbird used to shudder when shifting into overdrive. After about 50 miles of driving, it went away and it shifts very smooth. I would do it myself rather then go to a mechanic.

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
baseer said:
the guys at advanced auto parts said all i needed was 6 bottles for my 3.8
dont listen to them, listen to us :). take back those 6 bottles and get a case. call up dan newman and order parts for the j-mod. brand doesnt matter, mercon v = mercon v = mercon v. i wouldnt take it to a mechanic, good chance they will rip you off. if you cant do the job yourself, round up a couple car buddies that know what they are doing and pay them with some cold ones. if you were in texas, i would do it for you :).

edit: i see that your in raleigh. isnt SD in raleigh? ask him to give you a hand.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I would suggest having 15 or 16 qts available. The capacity or the transmission is 13.9qts (obviously, some you won't get out), but it is always better to have extra on hand than come up short.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
its a mechanic that we trust....im 16, i cant change the oil....of the car

i also bought a tranmission filter from advanced auto parts for 15$, since the guy said it was recomended.

what else do i need? tell me everything that i need to give to the (trusted) mechanic...
currently: 6 bottles of Mercon V, filter....

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
baseer said:
what else do i need? tell me everything that i need to give to the (trusted) mechanic...
currently: 6 bottles of Mercon V, filter....
6 more quarts of mercon v, make sure the filter has a new gasket, you may want to get a new tranny pan gasket. thats all i can think of now.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
the pan gasket is reusable if it is still the stock one... i have had people throw them away before. You'd think the pan stamping would be enough.... Illiteracy is a very bad problem indeed.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ford freak talks to me on aim.
ANd he says that mercon V will never cure my problem, and everyone here is saying incorrect things....

im gonna give the car to the guy, hes gonna drive, and check it out.
If he finds nothing wrong with it...ill tell him to definetly change the fluid

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I doubt the man who designed your transmission is wrong and some random guy is right.... If the mercon V does not solve TC shudder than the TC is worn out and needs replacement.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Dont forget to drain the torque converter . I cant rememeber to see if anyone said that already :) one of the mechanics at the ford dealership by me said dont mix the merc V with the mercon or bad stuff could happen

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Baseer,

Listen to us, guy! I only needed 13 quarts and I have a transmission cooler, too.

Changing transmission fluid is easy. My 14 year old daughter can do it. All you need is a buddy or your dad, a torque wrench, metric sockets, ratchet, 2 jack stands, large collection dish.

Just drop the pan over the dish and wait for the fluid to quit dripping. Then finish dumping out the pan. You'll need the buddy to twist the crank until you can see the bolt in the torque converter. Remove it and let it drain into the pan. Clean your pan with brake cleaner and make sure you don't have lots of metal in it.

Replace bolt, install new filter, button up transmission. add fluid and follow proceedure in transmission 101. You'll be happy.

Oh, find a different source for trany filter. You paid too much.

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
ford freak talks to me on aim. ANd he says that mercon V will never cure my problem, and everyone here is saying incorrect things....
Ford freak, should be called Ford fool, because that's what it seems like to me. I really hope he's not your mechanic.

You really should learn to change your oil and transmission fluid man, it's so easy, and you'll wonder why you didn't learn to do it sooner. It's so much better to get a little oil on your hands and some experience turning a wrench than getting ripped off at Valvoline Instant Oil Change or something. I changed the oil in my Cougar when I was 15, I'm sure you can do it at 16. You'll even save plenty of money by doing it yourself. Instead of going to a quick-lube place and spending $25 on regular oil and a Fram filter I can pour in Mobil 1 and put a Wix Napa Gold filter on there and be good for 8-10,000 miles.

$15 is too much for a trans. filter? I wish I had known that when I bought one last Winter at my local Ford dealer for $30.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
I think my trans filter was $3 something. I'll look up the receipt later. I get a club discount at a local dealer who very much appreciates our business. Between my SC and now the LX, I've dropped some major coin there, but I got good value.

Blackcat, you run 8 to 10K between oil changes??? I run 3 to 4K and I use Mobil 1.

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
PCD said:
Blackcat, you run 8 to 10K between oil changes??? I run 3 to 4K and I use Mobil 1.
Sure, in the Ranger. My car burns too much oil for Mobil 1, so I use regular oil and change it at 3-4k. If you're changing your oil at 3-4k on Mobil 1 you're not really taking advantage of the synthetic (maybe you can send me your used Mobil 1 and I can use it in my car;)). As long as it's clean it won't break down for probably 20,000 miles. It's perfectly okay to leave Mobil 1 in your car for 10k if you do a filter change at 5k or so. If it ain't dirty don't change it.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
BlackCat94 said:

Sure, in the Ranger. My car burns too much oil for Mobil 1, so I use regular oil and change it at 3-4k. If you're changing your oil at 3-4k on Mobil 1 you're not really taking advantage of the synthetic (maybe you can send me your used Mobil 1 and I can use it in my car;)). As long as it's clean it won't break down for probably 20,000 miles. It's perfectly okay to leave Mobil 1 in your car for 10k if you do a filter change at 5k or so. If it ain't dirty don't change it.
I thought I read on MD that suggested change for Mobile1 was 7500 with filter change every 3k and oil change. Maybe I misread.
-Thomas

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
Thomas said:

I thought I read on MD that suggested change for Mobile1 was 7500 with filter change every 3k and oil change. Maybe I misread.
-Thomas

Well I didn't read anything about it on Modular Depot actually. But I have seen 10k miles on Mobil 1 suggested here and on other boards. It's all about what you feel comfortable with. People run Amsoil for 25k before changing it! Just change it when it's dirty, or better yet, send in a couple of samples and see what they think! I am not scared to go 10k on 5qts of Mobil 1 5w30 and a filter change midway through. I'm only on my second Mobil 1 oil change (37k engine) so it's still doing alot of cleaning and probably will be changed at 6-7.5k. Eventually it will stay clean for 10k or even more.

·
Registered
251 Posts
be weary of auto part sales clerks. they dont have tccoa as a reference and havent studied the info on here like a bible as some of our gurus know!

·
Super Moderator
9,250 Posts
Holy thread bump, Batman! :beek:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Yea, it is, and Valvoline Mercon V still smells burnt fresh out of the bottle, lol... Never used it. I smelled some that my friend got when I was doing a trans. service on his Cougar and told him to go get me some Motorcraft Mercon V.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts