TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just brought home a 96 4.6L. Now I get to finish parting out the 97 rust bucket in the driveway... Damn, I hate the sun roof drain tubes. I've lost 2 good birds due to them being cracked and busted when I bought them with rot in the rear rockers...

Luckily, this one spent its entire life in North Carolina, and she's clean as a whistle regarding rust! Now to slowly convert her into the beast she can be.

The 97 motor, trans, rear dif, Dynomax Cat-Back, and other items are all coming out and getting repurposed... I'll have some spare parts as I go. PM me if interested. I'm in the Columbus area.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Super Moderator
97 Thunderbird 4.6, 98 Mark VIII LSC
12,409 Posts
Very nice. Always great to see an MN12 go from one caring owner to another. Bonus points when they join the community!

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, I've been here for a long time, just haven't been actively on in a while... lol

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX Missing 4.6 MIssing Trans Red
4,584 Posts
Oh, I've been here for a long time, just haven't been actively on in a while... lol
Been a handful of longtime members getting active again in the last couple years. Myself included.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just brought home a 96 4.6L. Now I get to finish parting out the 97 rust bucket in the driveway... Damn, I hate the sun roof drain tubes. I've lost 2 good birds due to them being cracked and busted when I bought them with rot in the rear rockers...

Luckily, this one spent its entire life in North Carolina, and she's clean as a whistle regarding rust! Now to slowly convert her into the beast she can be.

The 97 motor, trans, rear dif, Dynomax Cat-Back, and other items are all coming out and getting repurposed... I'll have some spare parts as I go. PM me if interested. I'm in the Columbus area.
Hi, I am a long time lurker here. I always find it interesting reading material here.

You mentioned that you hated the sun roof drain tubes going bad. Since I have a 97 TBird with the sun roof, I am wondering how I would go about checking my sunroof for possible damage, and replacing the tube you speak of.
I live in GA, so mine is rust free also. At least I hope it is.
Silverfox52z

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX Missing 4.6 MIssing Trans Red
4,584 Posts
Hi, I am a long time lurker here. I always find it interesting reading material here.

You mentioned that you hated the sun roof drain tubes going bad. Since I have a 97 TBird with the sun roof, I am wondering how I would go about checking my sunroof for possible damage, and replacing the tube you speak of.
Silverfox52z
You would have to remove the headliner to see the tubes. They can be detached from the sun roof and you could blow air thru them to see if they're clogged.

·
Super Moderator
14,211 Posts
Are you the silverfox that builds transmissions?

·
Super Moderator
14,211 Posts
thanks

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Silverfox52z
@Silverfox52z the best way, is to hook up an air nozzle with a long metal tube extension and find the corner drains (rear) of the sunroof and blow air through them, or find the bottom drain tubes (undercarriage of the car in front of the rear wheels) and blow air from the bottom up. You should not experience a big pressure change if the tubes are clear.

Since, in their infinite wisdom, Ford decided to use plastic tubes for the drains instead of metal, the tubes are very subject to cracking due to heat cycles of the car sitting outside. Mine were cracked enough, without me knowing, that water just sat inside the rear rocker panels, and they rusted from the inside out, and I was none the wiser until a friend of mine borrowed it and had to swerve to miss hitting bambi, and the panel crumpled.

@supergordo is correct, if you wanted, you could remove/ replace the tubes by removing the headliner and the interior rear panels (covers the rear speakers), as the tubes run from the rear corners of the sunroof down along the rear pillar, down through the speaker hole enclosure, and then down through a metal tube to the ground.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts