TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got around to doing my rear brakes and shocks. I was really surprised. The brakes were harder than replacing the shocks. Gotta do the front ones next. Are they a pain in the a$$?

·
8,239 Posts
no, but you need a wall mounted spring compressor to get the shock off the spring assembly.

I'm sure you don't have one, so you will need a shop to swap them for you. Probably charge no more than 10 bucks or so.

JH

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Make sure they align the upper 3 bolts correctly when they put it back together though, it would suck to have to take it back again to get it right.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Rich95XR7 said:
Make sure they align the upper 3 bolts correctly when they put it back together though, it would suck to have to take it back again to get it right.
...speakin from experience...although it was just a 15 second walk ;)

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
yep, but I would have been po'd if I would have had to drive like 15 minutes to get it fixed. BTW: I think Wes and I hold the record for rear spring and shock replacement. 35 minutes for both sides, not too shabby.:cool:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Rich95XR7 said:
yep, but I would have been po'd if I would have had to drive like 15 minutes to get it fixed. BTW: I think Wes and I hold the record for rear spring and shock replacement. 35 minutes for both sides, not too shabby.:cool:
heck yeah..we were kickin some ace :D

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Yall are slow! :tongue:

I can do the pair (rear shocks/springs) in 30 myself......then again I've done it quite a few times.....

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
ahh

well if i have to cut the springs give me about 10 more minutes....not bad for one person on a garage floor though.....

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
using what?

I use a cut off wheel in a die grinder...cut through the sc springs in no time
:D

I love my air tools....

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
It was, but I guess the new wheel I got really sucked. The old wheel really cranked through the fronts, but the new one seemed to take forever to get through the rear ones.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
weswing04 said:

...speakin from experience...although it was just a 15 second walk ;)

I also am speaking from experience. this happened to me but the alignment of the 3 bolts was only slightly off. I just twisted the shock/spring assembly a bit and it slipped right in. 3 months later my lower shock bolt bushing wore out because the bolt was crooked from the 3 bolts up top being aligned incorrectly. and replacing that lower bushing is a pita.
-Thomas

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
tommywdetroit said:
So I could just take the whole shcok/spring assembly off the front, and not worry about the spring flying off and turning into a misslie?
Whatever you do, do NOT remove the center nut from the top of the shock.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
And like Thomas said, make sure it just slides back into place, and you don't have to bolt it in with any twisting pressure on it.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
You don't want to install with a twist but I can tell you from first hand experience if you attach it at the top and it is off you can rotate the shock to the correct orientation with a 3' prybar

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
timb said:
You don't want to install with a twist but I can tell you from first hand experience if you attach it at the top and it is off you can rotate the shock to the correct orientation with a 3' prybar

Yeah that's what I did. and the bolt sat crooked in the bushing and then wore it out from being croked and rubbing the bushing from bouncing up and down like shocks do.

If you have to pry it to fit do not do it, take it back and have them adjust it.

-Thomas

1 - 20 of 23 Posts