TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked up this garaged hidden 97 4.6
58k miles
As I sold and ditched my 91 5.0 project form last year .
Wondering on a few recommended intial cheaper motor mods I can do too put some pep on the motor .. I'm not ready to do any major head work or cam mods etc.. probably next year ..just looking for plug in and bolt ons.
Was looking intitialy for under drive setup proprietary setup to the year. Cheaper deal then what super coupe performance pricing offers

Car has vogland drop coils tokico shocks
Ziebart undercoated in 1999.
Seen no Winters ever and no rain since 2004

Attachments

·
Banned
575 Posts
Love the color, same as my old 97 cougar..
97s seem to be considered the scragglers but i liked them best with the no abs and no Trac control and sport no leather or sunroof options..i also like that a sho 150mph speedo drops rite in..
Cool car man.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Love the color, same as my old 97 cougar..
97s seem to be considered the scragglers but i liked them best with the no abs and no Trac control and sport no leather or sunroof options..i also like that a sho 150mph speedo drops rite in..
Cool car man.
The supposed story behind the 97 brings the reason the mn12 was dropped off radar is because the guy who I got it from talked to someone from fords who knew the guy responsible for putting so much into the 97 and I guess the story goes they were suppose to be big sellers in 97 and after the 97 retail period was near over executives called them in a meeting and they almost lost their jobs over this car .. Ford deemed it a hopless design and ended the mn12 probably due to unexpected loss in expected profits due to the design and everything that was put into the cars.

·
Super Moderator
17,050 Posts
The supposed story behind the 97 brings the reason the mn12 was dropped off radar is because the guy who I got it from talked to someone from fords who knew the guy responsible for putting so much into the 97 and I guess the story goes they were suppose to be big sellers in 97 and after the 97 retail period was near over executives called them in a meeting and they almost lost their jobs over this car .. Ford deemed it a hopless design and ended the mn12 probably due to unexpected loss in expected profits due to the design and everything that was put into the cars.
That meeting is true, however it happened in 1989.

Ford All But Grounds Regular T-bird With Super Coupe Superpromotion - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
Always partial to a well kept Laser Red 97. Nice find! :)

·
Banned
575 Posts
Start with pi intake,75mm tbody and plenum, fenderwell cai some sort of tuner
Full tune up, 02 sensors,plugs,wires,fluids,mafs cleaning ect..

·
Banned
575 Posts
Forge his advice and just get the PI intake, PI cams, and a OEM 02-04 Intake/MAF/Airbox combo and a matching tune, and perform the J-mod and add a cooler to the transmission. The blingy bolt on junk is just that.
He doesn't want to dig into it yet, just bolt ons..
And the 75mm setup on a pi intake on the dyno gave a 8hp increase or something like that over the stock tbody and plenum..
I know I know it's not much but half the fun is making it yours..

·
Super Moderator
17,050 Posts
No it doesn't, it's a waste of money and you can get the cams for significantly less cash with real gains and without the skewed biased dyno results every shiester hocking intake tract "upgrades" uses. Doing the cams isn't rocket science, if you can do the manifold you can do them, just align the dots, easy as pie.

And when you're driving a modified 21 year old personal luxury coupe, it's yours, you're not going to come across another one, so don't worry about pointless making it yours merit points.

·
Banned
575 Posts
No it doesn't, it's a waste of money and you can get the cams for significantly less cash with real gains and without the skewed biased dyno results every shiester hocking intake tract "upgrades" uses. Doing the cams isn't rocket science, if you can do the manifold you can do them, just align the dots, easy as pie.

And when you're driving a modified 21 year old personal luxury coupe, it's yours, you're not going to come across another one, so don't worry about pointless making it yours merit points.
The pi cam swap was simple, did the screw driver trick to hold timing chain .
Also and why not a 75mm???? It always woke up my cars and I like instant throttle response..lol adjusting the cable won't have the same effect as a tbody and plenum and intake upgrade..
If he did a pi intake,75mm,intake and a tuner his car would feel night and day,with most gains and feel coming from the tuner..
But xr7 is correct, a full pi swap is the best bang for the buck.
https://youtu.be/z765Lp35oUM

·
Super Moderator
17,050 Posts
When the throttle isn't a restriction, which it isn't, throttle response via a bigger blade is a function of leverage, not air flow. So yes, a cable mod would do the same thing, but no, I wasn't suggesting that since it's stupid - there's no benefit to making an accelerator pedal behave more like an on-off switch.

I couldn't sit through the full video from 'ol nervous voice but from what I did see I found it pretty humorous he has every intake tract upgrade from filter to manifold, yet is using a shitty aftermarket Dorman manifold itself. Oops. Luckily he vroom vrooms around the neighborhood and proclaims it totally worth it at the end!

·
Banned
575 Posts
When the throttle isn't a restriction, which it isn't, throttle response via a bigger blade is a function of leverage, not air flow. So yes, a cable mod would do the same thing, but no, I wasn't suggesting that since it's stupid - there's no benefit to making an accelerator pedal behave more like an on-off switch.

I couldn't sit through the full video from 'ol nervous voice but from what I did see I found it pretty humorous he has every intake tract upgrade from filter to manifold, yet is using a shitty aftermarket Dorman manifold itself. Oops. Luckily he vroom vrooms around the neighborhood and proclaims it totally worth it at the end!

Lol didn't see the dorman

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
To get back on track, congrats OP on the new purchase! That paint looks really nice.

Al

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
That paint looks great. Mine is the same color and It's not even close to that dark and reflective, very impressive. Laser red fades badly so seeing one that nice is surprising. Take care of that thing, not many left in that condition.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
To get back on track, congrats OP on the new purchase! That paint looks really nice.

Al
That paint looks great. Mine is the same color and It's not even close to that dark and reflective, very impressive. Laser red fades badly so seeing one that nice is surprising. Take care of that thing, not many left in that condition.

I waited six months on my nerves to get the car as the owner of 19 years was out of state for some time which was a much older Ford type of fella.. Whats even harder to fathom is that it is a 21yr Michigan car that I knew was probably cleaner then most of the cleanest Tennessee birds floatin around... Says a lot about the relentless care taking its been given.

I may very well have the 2nd cleanest 97 around this state for all i know But I got to give "Mike B"
on here the 1st place spot as I've seen his 97 and polished it for him during some parts swapping immaculate condition.
not sure but I'll be at some gatherings to compare this summer.

I'm gonna post some under carriage photos ad well shortly .

1 - 20 of 33 Posts