TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, about a week ago I picked up a 94 cougar, 4.6L, 165K. The woman who owned the car hit a deer, which resulted in a cracke headlight, cracked grille, and it blew both airbags. This was enough to total the car so I picked it up for $400, cut the airbags out, and I have been using it as my daily driver. Just a few questions as I have never owned a 4.6 cat before.
#1)Both in completely stock form, which is faster, a 94 4.6 or a 91 5.0?
#2)If I turn on the dome light with the panel dimmer, when I turn it off, it locks the doors. Is this normal?
#3)Can the shifter handle be removed without taking out the whole shifter? The button keeps falling out and I was thinking about just picking up a handle at pep boys instead of taping the button on there.
#4)Because the airbag is blown, the horn does not work. Is there any way to set it up so the horn works without replacing the airbag?
#5)Sometimes when I get on the gas or turn on the headlights or something, the voltage guage drops just for a second but then comes back up to where it should be. Does this mean that my alternator is on its way out or is this normal? If my alternator is going, I just want to replace it before it leaves me stranded.
#6)The tempature guage never seems to get hot. I get heat in the car, so I can only assume that the engine is reaching normal tempature, but the needle always gets to just past the white line toward the cold side and never higher. Should it get higher, and if so what might cause this?
#7)Will a car that originally had airbags fail inspection for not having airbags anymore? I don't have to worry about this till 01/05, but just curious if I can swap to the earlier style interior and dash. Anything you can help me with would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
As for the dome light locking the doors, mine does this as well. I'm not sure it is normal, but mine has never been in an accident, so I would assume it is normal.

My heat gauge never gets very warm either, as I get hot air also.

The voltage gauge drop may be the fan kicking on, it takes alot out of mine. You can always tell when the fan kicks on b/c the votls shoot down then right back up.

Hope this kind of helps, I'm sure some one with more knoledge will chime in soon.

Joe

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
MadMikeyL said:

#1)Both in completely stock form, which is faster, a 94 4.6 or a 91 5.0?
#2)If I turn on the dome light with the panel dimmer, when I turn it off, it locks the doors. Is this normal?
#3)Can the shifter handle be removed without taking out the whole shifter? The button keeps falling out and I was thinking about just picking up a handle at pep boys instead of taping the button on there.
#4)Because the airbag is blown, the horn does not work. Is there any way to set it up so the horn works without replacing the airbag?
#5)Sometimes when I get on the gas or turn on the headlights or something, the voltage guage drops just for a second but then comes back up to where it should be. Does this mean that my alternator is on its way out or is this normal? If my alternator is going, I just want to replace it before it leaves me stranded.
#6)The tempature guage never seems to get hot. I get heat in the car, so I can only assume that the engine is reaching normal tempature, but the needle always gets to just past the white line toward the cold side and never higher. Should it get higher, and if so what might cause this?
#7)Will a car that originally had airbags fail inspection for not having airbags anymore? I don't have to worry about this till 01/05, but just curious if I can swap to the earlier style interior and dash. Anything you can help me with would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mike
1.) '94 4.6
3.) Yes
5.) I wouldn't worry about it
6.) Mine doesn't either
7.) Don't swap dashes. One of the best features about the '94+ cars is the interior. Besides it would be a lot more work and money than replacing the airbags. As far as inspection, swapping in an older interior still leaves your car without safety equipment that was originally installed.

·
8,239 Posts
2. no
4. no

I would just do regular maintenance on the car, and drive it until it stops, then part it out. For 400 bucks its a good deal if it runs at all.

JH

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
#4. How will it pass inspection?

#6. Replace the temperature sending unit, which is located on the front of the intake manifold. There is one Temp. sending unit for the gauge, and a second one for the computer. Obviously, make sure the engine has cooled down before you replace it.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
You could just find some airbags from a 94+ TB/Coug. and replace them with those...hook them up with some new sensors (or just junkyard, whatever) that way everything is functional.

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
For #2, I'd have to disagree
when I had my '95 cat when I would also play with the dome lights at the dimmer switch, the locks would also close, I believe it is normal, but either it not a big deal

For #1 yeah a 94 will beat a 91 5.0 but watch out for the 96-97, those will beat a 94-95 completely stock

·
Banned
3,083 Posts
mn12xr7 said:

For #1 yeah a 94 will beat a 91 5.0 but watch out for the 96-97, those will beat a 94-95 completely stock
:uppoint: :uppoint: :uppoint: Of course your talking about cougars right? T-birds = my 94 & 95 bone stock will smoke a 97...as long as "I" am driving...HAHAHAHA Sorry had to be a smart @ss....

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I don't think you legally have to replace airbags after a crash.

Will it make your car less safe to leave them out? I'm not sure. The MN-12 was designed without airbags (like in 89-93), which is a pro in this case. On the other hand, the 94+ seatbelts may be designed with airbags specifically in mind, so they may be much less effective without the airbags to help them. I don't know the exact details.

Used airbags are pretty cheap, so you could certainly go that route. I think you might also need new airbag sensors, however.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts