TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I just got a 96 Tbird LX (4.6L) for free because the guy said it wouldnt start. It was sitting for a year before I got it. I started working on it this weekend and got it running (it just needed a new battery.) I went to change the oil and the filter is seized on there. Jammed a screwdriver thru it and now its just torn to shreds. I tried for 4 or 5 hours to get it off, with all kinds of filter wrenches, screwdrivers, chisels and it just wont budge. Any ideas? And is there anything I should be on the lookout for once I get it running & titled, like common problems. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
lets see a picture of the carnage, not only because it's cool, but to save time from having people respond with ideas that will simply not work based on the condition that you left it in.

once you get it off and running, scroll down the Newbie and General Tech forums down a few years or so and you'll read all about the common problems.

·
Registered
96 Posts
yes and that oil filter bracket, has a gasket behind it, prone to leaking, and depending on how much "carnage" there is now, it could possibly be leaking now. and if you think the filter is hard to get off, LOL... oh yes, and welcome !!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I will try an post a pic tomorrow morning when I have a chance to work on it again. I'm Gona try and stick some needle nose pliers in the oil return holes on the filter but if that doesn't work I'm Gona try to get the bracket off. I could only even see one of the bolts for it and I read that it's a major pain to get off.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Apply heat from a propane torch. The gasket will soften as it warms.

I always change my oil with the car warm, but the one time I didn't, I had the same problem as the OP. Took a torch to get it. I do make the filter tighter than most people though.

Al

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
...if he can even get a belt on it...lol which is why I asked for pics :)
i had about the same problem a couple years ago, the filter collapsed. so, i took my belt off and it cranked right out :)

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
You asked about common problems.

Yes, the oil filter gaskets always wind up leaking on 4.6L engines.
I've changed them on both my 4.6L engine cars, '95 Bird & '95 Mark VIII.

Fel-Pro 70415 :

·
Registered
253 Posts
It's not that fun but once you get the knack for it, it really isn't all that bad. The thread in this forum helped me big time on that, just by reading it and applying it went smooth as silk.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts