TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just proposed to Elizabeth Schimmel​ and she said YES !!! I feel so blessed to have her in my life. Now the planning begins =-)

Chris C.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Joe !

·
Super Moderator
11,924 Posts
Congrats Chris!

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Congrats and condolences!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everybody !

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Congratulations, I just got married in March myself.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Two unsolicited tips:
1) I never understood this until I got married myself: if you are currently used to having some spending money now that you use to buy toys and are on the fence about buying ????? item, consider buying it NOW before you are married. After all, once you are married, even if your wife makes more than you, the money you earn won't be 100% your call to spend anymore. Of course, some wives are 100% supportive of whatever their future husband spends "stupid" money on but realistically, there will be OTHER priorities that will pop up so if you've always wanted that AK/AR15, supercharger, skiboat, XBOX/PS4, $500 video card, etc, consider buying it now. Please note that i'm not suggesting you go into debt for ??? item; nothing is crappier than to find out your significant other is bringing a load of debt to the new "family" (this happened to a friend of mine).

2) Also, don't go nuts on your wedding and esp don't go into debt for that one party. I've been to weddings where the parents (and sometimes the couple) have spent $50K... on one night. While we as the guests had a blast and the pictures looked fantastic, the bride/groom always seem to be running around to say hi to this or that relative or guest and at the end they were often too exhausted to really enjoy themselves. That money could have been better spent on the couple's future (house DP or kids)... or even their honeymoon.

-g

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
^^ I'm all for #2. My wedding was incredibly small. Just my mom, MIL, and sibblings at a court house. Everyone one else just found out through the grape vine, LMAO.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Two unsolicited tips:
1) I never understood this until I got married myself: if you are currently used to having some spending money now that you use to buy toys and are on the fence about buying ????? item, consider buying it NOW before you are married. After all, once you are married, even if your wife makes more than you, the money you earn won't be 100% your call to spend anymore. Of course, some wives are 100% supportive of whatever their future husband spends "stupid" money on but realistically, there will be OTHER priorities that will pop up so if you've always wanted that AK/AR15, supercharger, skiboat, XBOX/PS4, $500 video card, etc, consider buying it now. Please note that i'm not suggesting you go into debt for ??? item; nothing is crappier than to find out your significant other is bringing a load of debt to the new "family" (this happened to a friend of mine).

2) Also, don't go nuts on your wedding and esp don't go into debt for that one party. I've been to weddings where the parents (and sometimes the couple) have spent $50K... on one night. While we as the guests had a blast and the pictures looked fantastic, the bride/groom always seem to be running around to say hi to this or that relative or guest and at the end they were often too exhausted to really enjoy themselves. That money could have been better spent on the couple's future (house DP or kids)... or even their honeymoon.

-g

I agree with 1) and 2) lol We would like a small wedding and still not sure what our budget will be as we are still waiting to hear back from Liz's father. He did tell us we could have a big wedding or small. Have a few venues picked out one of which we will be checking out tomorrow afternoon. Hoping to get a few gift cards to SCP lol

Chris C.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yup lol

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I agree with 1) and 2) lol We would like a small wedding and still not sure what our budget will be as we are still waiting to hear back from Liz's father. He did tell us we could have a big wedding or small. Have a few venues picked out one of which we will be checking out tomorrow afternoon. Hoping to get a few gift cards to SCP lol

Chris C.
1) Forget GCs; Cash is king. $100 at SCP can be turned into more by using a cashback credit card (ex: my current favorite is Citi Double Cash MC).

2) IF your future Father-in-Law is willing to spring for a big wedding, will he bankroll a small wedding + give you cash for a honeymooon/downpayment on the house?

-g

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I own my house so we are good on that. He is willing to help with both. He has a few timeshares that we can use. We are thinking Gatlinburg,TN Myrtle Beach or FL for the honeymoon.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I should have known from the start. Liz's parents are pushing a church wedding. I am not against it but Liz and I would like an outdoor wedding with 100 or less people attending. We have found a really nice venue(skyline ranch resort) Liz and I are a little upset because when I asked her father if he was ok with me marrying Liz he gave me permission and told us "You can have as big a wedding as you want or a small wedding". Now that we have told them we would like to have it at this ranch they are worried it is too big I guess. We are willing to downsize to 75 people(or less) and I think it doesn't matter how many people will be there. I know they(Liz's parents) are paying for it so should we back down to have a wedding at a church since that's what they want and are paying for it? Or do we stand our ground? I have told Liz that I am happy with getting married at the courthouse then have a small catered reception. I have the balls to tell them that if they don't want to help out with what Liz wants we will do what WE want WITHOUT them. It's HER day and she DESERVES what she wants.

This is driving Liz crazy because I know she wants a normal wedding which makes me crazy lol So, do I tell her parents that we do not want a church wedding and want it at this ranch where we can have drinks/food/dancing or give in to them since they are paying for everything? To be honest I am just happy that Liz wants to marry me so I will be ok with whatever. I just think Liz wants to please her parents which is fine but I was brought up differently and was taught to stand by my beliefs. What do you all think? I really need some help here.

Chris C.

·
Super Moderator
11,924 Posts
Wow Chris, what a conundrum... off the top of my head:

This may sound harsh, but if you want your wedding on your terms then pay for it yourself. Or, at least offer to subsidize her parents costs.

The whole wedding "Industry" is out of control. It's tough. I know. A "small" wedding can run upwards of 5 to 10K! Beyond that the sky's the limit as far as cost. Don't put yourselves or her parents into debt just to have a dream "fairy tale" wedding. There's been many books written on the subject, I suggest you do some research.

I understand your desire to "stand your ground" but explore your options and tread carefully. By all means tell them you don't want a church wedding but do so tactfully and respectfully and suggest alternatives. This is really something she needs to work out with her parents. Be supportive for her but, personally, if I were you, I wouldn't want to get too involved in that discussion.

According to their site it's $650 for the first four hours banquet hall rental and $100 for each addl. hour; and that's just for the venue! This may be just outside of her parents budget when added to all the other expenses despite her father's initial indication to the contrary.

http://skylineranchresort.com/pricing/

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Ron. Yeah and to us that is CHEAP. We checked other venues in the area and it was 13-22k ! Its funny that the average wedding is 25k and up...jesus. I am very careful what I say around her parents as they are very involved with their church...I was brought up Roman Catholic but do not want a Catholic wedding. We went to the ranch and really liked the reception hall/catering menu etc and they also include an ordained minister. I was also wondering if you could make it to our wedding to take pictures? I know you are VERY busy so it's a long shot but had to ask lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts