TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately my 95 tbird has been acting up.

as of tonight i recently replaced the valve cover gaskets.. due to them leaking
but thats not the problem the engines temp has been mainly in the middle of the gauge the whole time during driving but when i stop at a light the temp goes up ato about 3/4 of the gauge then the fan kicks on. Im pretty sure its a two speed fan but i have yet to hear anything other than one speed. Also for about the last week the the oils gauge has been lower than usual mostly in the N part of the gauge. Can anyone help? Im not sure whats causing these things.

·
5,650 Posts
The oil gauge isn't really a gauge, it's more of an indicator. If you have more than 7 psi of oil pressure, the gauge will read something. The fact that the needle is lower probably means there is slight resistance in the sending unit, but it's not a big deal at all.

Have you flushed or changed the coolant recently? How about the thermostat? The fan does have 2 speeds but what's likely happening is that the low-speed is coming on then it cools it off enough so that the high-speed doesn't have to come on.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Check your water pump weep hole and see if there are signs of a fluid leak. If so replace water pump and thermostat. Then turn on your engine and air conditioner, your radiator fan should be running. If not you have a bad fan motor. Smell your exhaust (do not breath it in :eek: ) to see if it smells like antifreeze. If it does you have a head gasket leak. Check your oil for foam and water. If so you have a head gasket leak. If all of the above is good then chances are your thermostat needs to be replaced or your radiator is old. :cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had flushed and replaced the coolant a couple months ago but i forgot to mention that the temp problem started happening after i attempted to replace the stock thermostat with a 180 degree one. the car seemed to overheat faster so i swapped it back to stock. could this be the problem?

·
Super Moderator
10,586 Posts
You could have an air bubble at the top of the engine, at the thermostat.

That will cause cooling issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
^ i tried the 180 degree one and it seemed to over heat really fast. so i put back the somewhat new stock thermostat. and it seemed a little better. but right now its pretty much fine when im driving but when i slow down or stop the temp goes up...

How would i go about getting rid of a air pocket if there is one?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts