TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just recieved my HID's yesterday from austin8's wrecked (by a tree limb falling) 96 LSC. They were in very good shape but the drivers side housing needed some clearing up it was a little pitted and scratchy, although nothing very deep.

First I started with 600 grit, I wet sanded both housings. Then proceeded with 1000, 1500, and 2000. After wiping them off I hit it with some mothers mag wheel polish, then used some plastic polish. After that I applied some gold class wax. WOW they look like new again.

I installed them and the light is amazing. They give the front of the car a whole new look, it's great. The best part is I can actually see at night with just the low beams on, it's incredable.

I just have a few things to finalize but they are in and working. I need to wire up a relay to keep the low beams on while using the highs. I also need to mount the ballasts in a more perminant location and solder the connections. I feel like I have a new car again. I also just had my back window replaced this week too, bye bye crapy window seal!!

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I don't have any problem with my stock lights in my LSC... :D :zwall: :rofl:

Aren't HID's AWESOME!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hell yea, I got such a good deal on them that I couldn't passit up either. Money well spent!!!

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Very cool dude, congrats :thumbsup: The difference between HID and halogen is (no pun intended) night and day. As for the wiring, I'd recommend one of two things...
1) running the relay signal from the off/park light/headlight switch, before the wiring hits the MFS. The MFS is what determines hi/low beam, so if you come directly off the headlight switch, you've got a straight on/off signal for your relay
2) using diodes and a small capacitor... this way's complicated, trust me, but you wouldn't have to drill through the firewall like #1. LMK if you want details/wiring info

·
8,239 Posts
i didn't know that the 96 got hids?

I would have sworn that jesse's 96 had regular halogen lamps. Was it a lsc thing?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
HID's were only available on the 96 Gen I's. I'm not sure if it was an option on the non-LSC and standard on the LSC, or what.

And of course the Gen II's got the HID's on both the LSC and the Standard. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
only 96 LSC's had it, 95 LSC's were supposed to but there was some problem and they were pulled before they got to the dealership. My owners manual even says I have HID's.

Falcon5783 said:
Very cool dude, congrats :thumbsup: The difference between HID and halogen is (no pun intended) night and day. As for the wiring, I'd recommend one of two things...
1) running the relay signal from the off/park light/headlight switch, before the wiring hits the MFS. The MFS is what determines hi/low beam, so if you come directly off the headlight switch, you've got a straight on/off signal for your relay
2) using diodes and a small capacitor... this way's complicated, trust me, but you wouldn't have to drill through the firewall like #1. LMK if you want details/wiring info

I'm going to be putting a jumper on the m/f switch so the HID's stay on when the high beams are put on. Hot re-strikes with HID's are just bad for the bulbs, so I'm going to have the HID's stay on during high beam use. I'm going to be putting the HID's on a relay so it dosen't draw the current through the switch inside the car. This is especially important when you are running with the high and low beams on. The stock wiring is small and so are the connectors so I'm going to take most of the load off of the switch. Is this the reason why you were talking about running relays? Anyway, let me know.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Since we're talking about HID and high beams. :D

Can anyone think of anything that would be wrong with replacing the high beams on my LSC with aftermarket HID's? :2huh:

Since they stay off most of the time, and you don't blind oncoming traffic (I seldom use my high beams), would it be ok? :confused:

I currently have SilverStars, but I would like “better”. :D

I can only imagine how bright it would be with HID’s on low (OEM) and high! :beek: :znanner:

Thoughts, comments, ideas.... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that would be pretty cool. Although unless there is a 9005 retrofit kit you may have to cut or make some adapter plates. Have you thought about the HIR option? I was just looking at some HIR stuff, seems to be a huge improvement over regular halogen for not too much money.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:

Can anyone think of anything that would be wrong with replacing the high beams on my LSC with aftermarket HID's? :2huh:

Since they stay off most of the time, and you don't blind oncoming traffic (I seldom use my high beams), would it be ok? :confused:

I can only imagine how bright it would be with HID’s on low (OEM) and high! :beek: :znanner:

They will burn out quicker... because turning off and on a Xenon bulb isn't good. When you flash someone (say at a stop sign), it will cause the life expectancy on the ballast and bulb to decrease.

Good idea though!

-Kornhaus

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if you have some fog lights behind the grill you can flash people with those instead! :D

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
95BLKLSC said:
I'm going to be putting a jumper on the m/f switch so the HID's stay on when the high beams are put on. Hot re-strikes with HID's are just bad for the bulbs, so I'm going to have the HID's stay on during high beam use. I'm going to be putting the HID's on a relay so it dosen't draw the current through the switch inside the car. This is especially important when you are running with the high and low beams on. The stock wiring is small and so are the connectors so I'm going to take most of the load off of the switch. Is this the reason why you were talking about running relays? Anyway, let me know.
Yes, restrikes are evil and will kill your ballasts and capsules, good choice in keeping the HID low beams on. Yes, that's why you run relays. I'm not sure how much overhead there is in the stock wiring, but like you said, running low and hi beams at the same time is probably excessive strain on the stock wiring. Using the relay does exactly as you said, takes the strain off the stock parts, which given that overcurrent can fry any switch, the wiring, and/or start a fire, good call ;)
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:

Exactly what Kornhaus said, you'll burn things up way too fast. Xenons have a startup time, and flashing the beams like that is hell on the parts. I agree with 95, just get some good driving lights. Get some Hella FF50 or FF75 driving lights and throw in some silverstar bulbs, they'll light up the road pretty damn well

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Falcon5783 said:
Get some Hella FF50 or FF75 driving lights and throw in some silverstar bulbs, they'll light up the road pretty damn well
hehehe sorry i couldnt resist

hella ff75 lights with silverstar h7 bulbs installed and properly aimed ;)
you may slap me now

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
*slaps mike with a dead carp* hehehe sorry I couldn't resist

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
wtf are you talking about?

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
You mean those ricer ones you finally sold?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts