TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read the sticky on the "PI Explorer Engine Swap Article" http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=94152 but I'm still unsure about the differences between those engines and the crown vic's, PI's, is there a difference? Mains, intake and so on? Just want information please. If you want to know what year crown vic, any year after 1999. Or is there a difference from year to year? If so what is the difference? Thanks for your input.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My mistake...must have confused you with someone else...thats what I get for posting from my cell phone on the road lol
Thats ok, Sh*t happens. But I could use a little help here. Anyone have any Ideas, I'm hoping to have this a fully blown PI car, as a sleeper, any help would nice. Thanks:bowdown:

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Damn thats alot of cubes in a small block. I wonder if they start life as a 302 or 351 block! Or it may be more accurate to ask which one they are based on.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Damn thats alot of cubes in a small block. I wonder if they start life as a 302 or 351 block! Or it may be more accurate to ask which one they are based on.
I imagine they'd start with a 351W because of the higher deck height.

·
Super Moderator
9,152 Posts
The big reason (that I know of) why people recommend Explorer motors is because they have the lighter aluminum block.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's what I wanted to know. Anything else or is that the only real difference?

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
I may be talking out my azz, but if I'm not mistaken you are only limited to the heads that come on that motor, due to the block and heads use a 12 head bolts insted of the standard 10.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
The intake on the explorers don't have a outlet for the heater core, thats about it
It can be drilled ;) The barb is there, but it is blind. At least that was the case on the one I had.

·
Registered
92 Posts
also with the crown vic PI swap you dont need to go out and find alot of parts. most of the parts you need will be on your old block (engine mounts, exhaust manifolds, oil pan, oil pick up tube, valve covers, and all of your accessories, P/S, A/C, and ALT). the crown vic timing cover has all of the bolt holes you need to mount your coils and power steering reservoir. all that you need to get is the throttle cable, cruse cable, egr pats, and intake tube (air box to throttle body). but if I was to go back and do it all again I would put the explorer motor in it to help save on weight.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Thats ok, Sh*t happens. But I could use a little help here. Anyone have any Ideas, I'm hoping to have this a fully blown PI car, as a sleeper, any help would nice. Thanks:bowdown:
why in the heck would you want a blown PI motor when you already have a NA small block 460 with 600hp?

also can you post pics of your bird? or send me to a link?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
why in the heck would you want a blown PI motor when you already have a NA small block 460 with 600hp
I have 4 birds, one is a fox, one is a SC, one is strip and street, and one I plan on just driving around for giggles and laughs. I also have two bikes, one is a regular ride around on bike, the other is slammed down three inches off the ground, raked out nine feet seven inches long chopper. Just so everyone understands, I do have more than one thing to ride. As for pic's I'll see if I can figure out how to get them posted.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts