TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had problems with the oil from a k&n air filter getting onto the mass airflow sensor.I've read about it in other forums(other makes and models)causing problems but haven't read anything about it affecting the 3.8 ,Ithought i'd ask before buying one,thanks.Dave

·
Registered
844 Posts
If they're over-oiled, then yeah, I could see how they could cause a problem, but I've been running a K&N for years, with no issues, lightly oiled, both in a 3.8 and in a 4.6, with no problems

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
Even if they are lightly oiled, you'll eventually get some oil/grime accumulation on the MAF. At the same time, there are plenty of stock filtered cars out there that accumulate enough gunk on the MAF to set off the CEL. Either way, I clean the MAF sensors on my vehicles about once a year. It's easy enough to do.

That's just my take on the matter.

-Rod

·
Super Moderator
12,687 Posts
If they're over-oiled, then yeah, I could see how they could cause a problem, but I've been running a K&N for years, with no issues, lightly oiled, both in a 3.8 and in a 4.6, with no problems
:zwthstpd:
Even if they are lightly oiled, you'll eventually get some oil/grime accumulation on the MAF. At the same time, there are plenty of stock filtered cars out there that accumulate enough gunk on the MAF to set off the CEL. Either way, I clean the MAF sensors on my vehicles about once a year. It's easy enough to do.

That's just my take on the matter.

-Rod
:zwthstpd:

Lightly oil the filter and clean your MAF sensor about once a year and you'll be fine.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
I agree My bird has had one for nearly 6 months and not one issue.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
why not just go with one of fram's new non-oiled washable air filters?.......not that any aftermarket air filter will gain you any hp on a properly maintained 3.8, but if you absolutely have to have a reuseable filter, might as well save a bit on it instead of buying an unnecessarily high-flowing oiled type filter

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
i bought my k&n panel filter for a dollar at the junkyard, people having problems with their mafs are the same people who are over oiling the filters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts