TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Well, if air can get through this drycharger thingy, then water certainly can. What is it, a foam pre-cleaner like on tractor engines and generators?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
from K&N's website "K&N DryChargers are similar to PreChargers except they have been pre-treated to repel water."

"The K&N Drycharger is a silicone treated, polyester wrap that is made to cover K&N Personal Watercraft Flame Arrestors. These Drychargers contain uniform micron sized openings that allow optimum air flow. Yet, due to the Drychargers silicone treated polyester wrap, the amount of water that reaches the air filter or flame arrestor is limited."
this is also the same thing that comes on most cold air intakes now a days. i was just wandering if anybody has had any experiance with this?

i figured this would be a good thing to have for the people that have their air filter in the fender.

·
Banned
377 Posts
i used this (drycharger) on my focus....i was running the kn typhoon cai....that intake dropped the filter wayyyy down in the wheel well, it was constantly getting wet....to be honest the drycharger only really repeled water for about 3 months....after that water was able to soak thru to the filter.....hovever it did a good job of keeping all the gunk from the wet roads off the filter though....and after removing the drycharger in the summer i noticed no real power gain...meaning it didnt restrict any noticable air flow....after seeing the design of the tbirds wheel well (by removing my air silencer) i really dont think that the tbirds with a cai (down in the fender) need a drycharger.

·
Banned
377 Posts
thats what kn actually recommends....i never ran mine in the spring or summer.....but these damn oregon rain storms during the fall and winter forced me to run mine for over 6 months.....so i basically wore it out.....and yeah, it is a good piece of mind having it on there.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts

·
Banned
377 Posts
or plexi glass.....alot of focus guys did this.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
When your dealing with small amounts of water that something like that can block, you won't be saving anything from being damaged. The dry charger isn't going to keep out the mass of water that could damage the engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts