TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Lightly Seasoned
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ever used K&N oil filters? I got one and it says its specially designed for synthetic oils, Is ok to use conventional oil with this?

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I can't see why not. It's not like conventional oil won't pass through it.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Yes, and yes. All oil filters can be used with conventional, synthetic, or semi synthetic. The K&N filter isn't a bad one, however there are equally decent filters out there for less. The novelty of having a nut on it to take it off should have nothing to do with your decision since it can rip off of the cover during removal. However if you race certain events some require a safety wire on whatever HP vehicle's oil filter so the nut with a hole would be beneficial then. However I doubt that's why you need it if your asking about conventional motor oil. Also get away from conventional and switch to a blend at the very minimum. Even the motorcraft oil is semi-syn blend and it's dirt cheap.

·
3,734 Posts
And if you still have the stock heads, don't bother with Royal Purple oil...my oil consumption went up after I used it for 3000 miles.

·
Lightly Seasoned
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, and yes. All oil filters can be used with conventional, synthetic, or semi synthetic. The K&N filter isn't a bad one, however there are equally decent filters out there for less. The novelty of having a nut on it to take it off should have nothing to do with your decision since it can rip off of the cover during removal. However if you race certain events some require a safety wire on whatever HP vehicle's oil filter so the nut with a hole would be beneficial then. However I doubt that's why you need it if your asking about conventional motor oil. Also get away from conventional and switch to a blend at the very minimum. Even the motorcraft oil is semi-syn blend and it's dirt cheap.
I've always been afraid to use a full synthetic because I've heard that it can cause a motor with miles on it [mine has 97k] to burn oil, maybe a blend would be best of both worlds

·
3,734 Posts
I've always been afraid to use a full synthetic because I've heard that it can cause a motor with miles on it [mine has 97k] to burn oil, maybe a blend would be best of both worlds
A blend is what Ford uses. Can't really go wrong with THEIR brand of oil. :D

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Why do you want to use a K&N filter instead of a good old Motorcraft? Just curious as I know there are varying qualities of oil filters (I stick to OEM filters on all vehicles).

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Purolator=Motorcraft on oil filter and while not as high quality as K&N at ~ 1/3 the price is what I run. Oh and Purolator is better quality than Fram and is cheaper.

·
Lightly Seasoned
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Purolator=Motorcraft on oil filter and while not as high quality as K&N at ~ 1/3 the price is what I run. Oh and Purolator is better quality than Fram and is cheaper.
It was $10 thru Amazon, I felt bad cause I had to but a cheapie on her last oil change so this time I splurged on her a little bit...LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts