TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Crown Vic LX Sport. Today I removed the factory air filter after 4 years an 43k miles and installed a K&N filter oddly the car fills like it has a lack of power over the factory filter????

Idea one the computer needs time to adjust?

Idea two the filter has spit some oil on my senors and it's freaking the car out

Idea three K&N filter take a little time to brake in (I think I recall they work better a little dirty)

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
the computer only needs to adjust if the MAF sensor somehow got dirty....even stock paper filters let in minute amounts of fine dust that can accumulate on the sensor wires over the years and thousands of miles......get a can of maf cleaner, or electronic parts cleaner and spray the maf wires until they are shiny when held up to light.........only way that the K&N got oil on the maf wires is if it was over-oiled....also when they say that they "work" better when dirty, has nothing to do with the overall performance aspect of consuming more air....it means that it will filter the air better because the large-ish holes in the cotton gauze media eventually get smaller and smaller as dirt is being held on the pleats

·
Registered
190 Posts
since it an 04 make sure the airbox is completely sealed, we see these come in and if that box isnt done properly it causes problems, check where the tabs meet at the bottom.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
I have heard peps flame the K&N for letting more dirt in the engine than a paper filter, But I for one have had a K&N in my Jaguar for over 70K now and the engine runs great no problems and put in the K&N in my bird last year :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
ive got to give the K&N a big thumbs down!...i ended up putting my elcheapo fram paper filter back in because i couldnt for the life of me get the K&N to fit right!...i couldnt get the lid to fit back on correct no matter what i did!:confused:

·
5,650 Posts
ive got to give the K&N a big thumbs down!...i ended up putting my elcheapo fram paper filter back in because i couldnt for the life of me get the K&N to fit right!...i couldnt get the lid to fit back on correct no matter what i did!:confused:
The K&N filter specifies that you have to file some of the material away in the holes where the tabs of the airbox are because of the filter's increased thickness.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
The K&N filter specifies that you have to file some of the material away in the holes where the tabs of the airbox are because of the filter's increased thickness.
Yep very true been there done that :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
yep had to do the same took electrician scissors to it fit pretty good after i hacked at it...and i noticed a difference in throttle response...

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Any word on how the K&N filter fits the 99-04 Mustang GT's? I've got an airbox from a GT in my T-bird and am giving some thought to a K&N when the paper one gets dirty. (the airbox came with a brand new Fram Air filter in it... not about to waste it now am I?) :D

·
Registered
986 Posts
Traveler,

The K&N conical filter fits fine in the Mustang GT airbox. I ran that combination the last few years my car was N/A.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Thanks a bunch....

Tell me more about your 5.0.. it sounds like an interesting set up....

·
Registered
986 Posts
Traveler,

My 5.0 is a big bore modular, based on a Mark VIII aluminum block which has been sleeved out to 3.700" bore (stroke is stock length). It has a fresh cast crank, with forged rods and pistons. Heads are ported & polished NPI with 1mm larger than stock SS valves, better springs, and Comp Cams. I'm running a Cobra oil pump with a Mark VIII pan and pickup. Induction consists of an SVO non-intercooled supercharger, fed by a Lightning 90mm MAF, a BBK 75mm TB, and 42 lb injectors. With water/meth injection and a conservative tune, it has produced 348 rwhp and 374 lb-ft of torque on a Dyno-Jet.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Yep, thats pretty much the set up I've been dreaming of... solid bottom end, with a blower. (the SVO is a roots type blower isn't it?)

It sounds great, thanks.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Traveler,

Yes, the SVO blower is a Roots type supercharger, which is good and bad. The good part is that it makes huge torque at low and mid engine rpms (thus fun to drive), and the Mustang SVO unit is relatively easy to install on a T-Bird or Cougar. The bad part is that it is inherently less efficient than a twin screw blower, and the efficiency gets progressively worse as you speed the blower up. Also, since it is non-intercooled, the compressed air is quite hot, which limits how much timing advance you can run (reducing the potential power level).

If I had this project to do over again, I would probably use the new Trick Flow heads and go with a Torque Tech blower setup instead of the SVO. More airflow + lower air charge temperature = more power. But, the total cost would be even more than I've spent, and I would likely be breaking drivetrain parts, which has not been a problem with my current setup. For now, I'm just going to enjoy driving what I've got, and tweak it as possible for optimum performance.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Well mike until I see some hard evidence on the tork teck and I'm not saying it's bad but dyno numbers are useless, I want track numbers and that tells the real story, I mean look at Oxs car stock ok motor very conservative tune 12.2 in not so good weather, I'll admit the tork tech is a very nice kit but I wanna see track numbers and mph in the 1/4. Ps Hans ran some new times yesterday and it's still a factory short block imagine if he had a built bottom end we would switch to 8 rib and turn the boost up

Robert

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
RCReeves - I hope you weren't expecting an increase in power - because you won't get one with the K&N flat panel filter. The 4.6 engine when stock is not starving for air - in other words - the air filter is not restricting air from reaching the intake. Therefore - the K&N does not improve airflow since the engine is not looking for any more. It is my own personal opinion - as well as the opinion of some experts - that the K&N filter allows more dirt to pass thru it. When I used the K&N in my 95 T-Bird - my MAF sensor got dirty about one year later. Chalk it up to overoiling maybe - but the sensor sure was a nice color brown. Went back to Fram filters and my T-Bird enjoyed a nice 10 year run of 247,000 miles with no engine problems. I am hoping for more with the 03 Sport.

What is your reason for putting one on? Since I have had both a T-Bird and a Crown Vic Sport, I think your money for more power would be better spent on the MZT tune and some cooler plugs and T-stat.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Yep, thats pretty much the set up I've been dreaming of... solid bottom end, with a blower. (the SVO is a roots type blower isn't it?)

It sounds great, thanks.
Actually I misquoted myself. I'd like a Roots style, would love a Twin Screw. I just don't want a centrifugal. (you go to a car show and every stang under the sun has a centrifugal blower bolted to it). gotta be different! :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts