TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've considered that. Just looking at all of my opitons though.

The price Kar Kraft is quoting with a complete engine is about $700 less than a rebuilt longblock. Add in all of the extras I'd have to get and the Kar Kraft begins to look good.

I'm not exactly opposed to a salvaged engine but if I could get a new one I'd rather do that.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
If you are dead set on a new engine, then by all means go for it. I will say that countless people on this site have gone the salvage route with great success. I've got 25k miles on mine without any problem whatsoever...many others have more mileage, some under boost.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Karkraft is a reputable outfit... some outstanding deals ... New "take outs" are from the parent corp. (i think Roush ) where they make up a batch of vehicles with upgraded engines in them.... they also get engines /parts from Ford in bulk , with little or no use as overruns , torn down engineering studies, which may only have a few hours on them, and a lot of similar stuff that Ford has them dispose of .... you will find exceptional deals there on occasion, and the almost new dissassembled engines come to mind as the best bargain...its a treasure hunt! :D

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After looking at the picture they have on hteir page, it looks like if I got the complete engine, I would only have to change teh fuel rails, possible injectors, and the throttle body to put it into the T-Bird (Along with putting my 95 front plate on etc.). Would this be correct?

Also: What is the difference between the explorer intake and the FRPP PI?

Thanks.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Sounds right...you are correct, the '04 is drive-by-wire, you'll need a '96+ Thunderbird/Mustang TB or a '02-03 Explorer TB. You will want to use your current injectors. Also your oil pan and pickup. No significant difference on the intake...the FRPP/Mustang intake may be slightly more user friendly as far as the coolant system is concerned, but I wouldn't spend the extra money on it. The Explorer manifold there has the Al crossover so I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
also, a lot of "new takeouts" come from vehicles that are put on the trailer from the factory and are damaged in shipping. Say the driver throws a chain or something on the trailer and it dents the vehicle. That vehicle is instantly totalled and cannot be sold. It's then completely disassembled and parted out.
-Thomas

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Leland Jacobson said:
Karkraft is a reputable outfit... some outstanding deals ... New "take outs" are from the parent corp. (i think Roush ) where they make up a batch of vehicles with upgraded engines in them.... they also get engines /parts from Ford in bulk , with little or no use as overruns , torn down engineering studies, which may only have a few hours on them, and a lot of similar stuff that Ford has them dispose of .... you will find exceptional deals there on occasion, and the almost new dissassembled engines come to mind as the best bargain...its a treasure hunt! :D
Dumpster divers is more like it.
They are not in any way affiliated with Roush or any other OEM Ford engineering firm.
JL

·
8,239 Posts
Leland Jacobson said:
No thats just wrong, they come from wrecks or ford test mules just like any other outfit (greenleaf, etc).

And whoever said 800 bucks for an explorer engine is wrong also, I bought all the 800 dollar explorer engines, they are double that amount now.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
JustinH said:
And whoever said 800 bucks for an explorer engine is wrong also, I bought all the 800 dollar explorer engines, they are double that amount now.
Uhh...no one said 800 for an Explorer engine...I did say:

Palmguy said:
find a slightly used engine for about 800-1000 dollars less from for example a Greenleaf yard.
That translates to approximately 1000-1200 + shipping, which is not that far-fetched. I haven't priced anything lately as I bought my engine almost two years ago, but if you look you can still find deals, heck Joe Obucina just bought his not that long ago for 12 and change shipped.

On a side note, you bought them all for 800 and now they are all double? Heck of a profit margin you got going there bud :tongue:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was looking over the picture on their web site again agin it looked like the intake manifold was kida high. Cant tell for certain. Are there any hood clearance issues with the stock or FRPP intakes?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts