TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone been affected by this madness? some students here have gotten their computers confiscated for having copyrighted files. i use imesh instead of kazaa, but is it likely that imesh could go thru the same deal? just curious.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
RIAA and the MPAA are tracking all the file sharing networks. With the newest ruling in the RIAA vs Verizon case they can now get your info and sue you directly. More info <a href="http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11719">here</a>

If anyone is using the real Kazaa get rid of it and go get <a href="http://www.lavasoftusa.com">Ad-Aware</a> to get rid of all the spyware you installed along with Kazaa

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
ShadowDragon said:
RIAA and the MPAA are tracking all the file sharing networks. With the newest ruling in the RIAA vs Verizon case they can now get your info and sue you directly. More info <a href="http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11719">here</a>

If anyone is using the real Kazaa get rid of it and go get <a href="http://www.lavasoftusa.com">Ad-Aware</a> to get rid of all the spyware you installed along with Kazaa
Yea I did all that a long time ago. The day I installed kazaa I noticed a bunch of weird things with my pc, so I uninstalled it. Ran adaware and had a bunch of stuff in my pc.

Anyone know if WinMX is affected by that? Morpheaus (sp?)?

Just wondering...

·
8,239 Posts
i would never install kazaa on my computer, it is the biggest piece of adware i have ever seen. Right up there with bonzai buddy.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
So does that mean you have to be using a ISP by Verizon and sharing 600+ songs (or files) to get effected by this right now?

-Shawn

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
To get personally sued right now, yes.

To get shut off by your ISP when the recieve the reports from RIAA/MPAA/BSA/etc/etc.. no, any ISP, any amount will do.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
All they do is go onto those with a bot that searches for filenames, a public access which you yourself allow, so yes, it's legal.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
The Lite version still has spyware. Do not let them delude you into thinking that it does not. Run Lavasoft's Ad-Aware and you will see the spyware. Also, I do not have a registered name with Kazaa, but they could still find my IP and sue me. I believe that my college would shut down my connection before that happened though.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Pay attention to the kazaa lite installation, it tells you what is going on right there, as well as on the website, in the readme, etc etc etc.

Kazaa requires a certain dll which is a spyware dll to run. Kazaa lite puts a dummy dll there which doesn't work, but it's enough to pass Kazaa's security check.

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
just go into your msconfig, look at all the crap it puts in there to start when you boot into windows...

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
ShadowDragon said:
Pay attention to the kazaa lite installation, it tells you what is going on right there, as well as on the website, in the readme, etc etc etc.

Kazaa requires a certain dll which is a spyware dll to run. Kazaa lite puts a dummy dll there which doesn't work, but it's enough to pass Kazaa's security check.
It's called clint.dll. I run Ad-aware every week with no big spyware issues. The Lite version is modded by a third party. Just don't do the version updates that Kazaa always asks you to do when loaded.

It's moot now anyway with what SD has said.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Morpheus and kazaa are the same thing so I am sure morpheus has all the same spyware that kazaa has.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Not since Morpheus stopped paying streamcast networks. Now Morpheus is a Gnutella clone.

·
Registered
239 Posts
soop said:
I use the Lite version.
you happen to read the privacy policy or whatever it's called when you installed it? it says that the program (kazaa lite) is illegal and was made for educational purposes only...so basically, its a lose lose situation

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
brahma101 said:

you happen to read the privacy policy or whatever it's called when you installed it? it says that the program (kazaa lite) is illegal and was made for educational purposes only...so basically, its a lose lose situation
I don't use it to share files. I just like looking for stuff. I don't download anything. Really.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
brahma101 said:

ROFL. :uppoint: :uppoint: :uppoint: All file sharing apps are illegal no matter what utter and complete :bs: them or the pirates spew.

That clause is in there so that the RIAA and MPAA can only sue the end-user. But we saw how well that worked for Napster. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts