TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am faced with a dilemma, been trying to free up money for a vortech supercharger and my car budget is going down rapidly, so been thinking of selling the Circle D 3900 stall I got and just keeping the Mark VIII converter as the car will see more road use cruising than drag racing, if it does hit the strip it will be max 4 times a year anyway, but I just don't know if I will come to regret the decision latter.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Vortechs and other centrifugal superchargers normally do much better with a high stall. But if you rarely go to the track and you have 3.73/4.10/lower gears you should be okay on the street. If you do decide to sell that converter send me a PM with details.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sure will, I just think the high stall will suck in traffic, these days roads are packed with motorists and it's not uncommon to hit stop and go situations frequently, Now that I am getting older I prefer just cruising and going to meets over hitting the dragstrip but once in a while wouldn't be bad when I get the urge.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
If your lock up schedule is worth a damn, a high stall converter like this is perfectly streetable. I DD my 4000 stall converter with no issues. I could never see myself going backwards to a Mark VIII converter. Knowing the kind of quality that goes into Circle D converters, like Dirty Dog, this converter will work fine in low speed operations like stop and go traffic. The car should still be able to crawl like normal. It shouldn't take much throttle to get the car going from a stop.

·
Super Moderator
97 Thunderbird 4.6, 98 Mark VIII LSC
11,170 Posts
A high stall converter is streetable as long as it's properly sized for the stall and is tuned well. I recommend Circle D and PI converters over others due to a variety of factors.

As far as a low speed "crawl", that comes from a properly sized converter. E.G. you can get 3500 stall from a 11.25" converter by adjusting the blade angles, but that will kill the low speed crawl. A 3200-3500 stall is a good number for a 10" class converter, and 3800-4000 is better suited to 9.5". Just gotta do your research first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.