TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a head swap and an under drive pulley install too and want ideas on the best way to keep the engine from turning when I take off the crankshaft pulley bolt. I do not want to take off the starter because it looks like tight work

I saw these alternate suggestions.

Should either work ?

Any better ideas?

clue A

On automatic transmission cars, the engine must be held from turning by holding the torque converter. The torque converter can be accessed by removing a plug towards the front-drivers side of the transmission. (Consult a service manual for more information). Hold the torque converter from turning with a 14mm wrench.----

clue B

There is a Ford tool that locks to the teeth of the flexplate to hold the crankshaft from turning. You remove the plastic cover from the bellhousing to install the holder.

If I am seeing right there are four bolts holding a plate on and if it is removed I should be able to wedge something in the teeth on the right side so it will not turn when I break the camshaft bolt free.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I usually stick a screwdriver through the harmonic dampener, wedged against the timing cover or oil pan .. just need to hold in in place to break the bolt loose, no need to get fancy.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
pull the radiator when you do the headswap and pulley swap and zip it out with an impact, or go get a cheap electric impact if you don't have air tools, ive seen them go for $20 at autozone or pepboys

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I usually stick a screwdriver through the harmonic dampener, wedged against the timing cover or oil pan .. just need to hold in in place to break the bolt loose, no need to get fancy.
I tried that but it kept turning. Might try again.

Nope no impact wrench.

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
Well there is a inspection plate for the tranny that you can remove. Its only held on with 2 bolts. Maybe you can stick something thru the flexplate to hold it all in place. Or maybe you can get a strap wrench and hold onto the balancer.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Nope no impact wrench.
21 dollars and you can get an electric impact wrench from harbor freight (hooks up to a car battery). Not a tool you'd wanna have to work on cars daily but works great for something like this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts