TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What years did the birds have keypads and key fobs? OK so I have a 91 SC with the keypad and what I am wanting to do is take a keyless module that uses the keypad and key fob and mod it to work in my 91. Has anyone done this yet? Yes I know I could get an aftermarket alarm but I don't have the funds for that. I live right by 3 junk yards so parts are easy to get. A key fob would make it so much easier to get my son in the car instead of trying to carry a car set and unlock the doors with the keys.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Definately 94-95, possibly (I think) 93 was the first year. keypad was not available in 96-97, which is a bummer, I miss that about the 95 I had. My guess is that you would need the body harness, but you might want to grab a 94-95 keyless module from a car that had the keypad and see if it will plug in, your code on the door would change to whatever that module is programmed for, but it would work with a factory remote. There is probably more wire swapping to it than that though. I'd love to do it on mine, but it would mean either cutting a hole in the door for the keypad, or replacing the door with one from a pre-96 car....but if you already have the keypad, somehow that makes it seem a bit easier.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was expecting to have to change the pin out on the plug in on mine or even have to do some wire splicing. I do know I'm going to need a wiring diagram for both cars. Mine with the keypad and then one with the keypad and key fob. And also does anyone have a pic of the module that has the keypad and key fob?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool I found the post and see a pic of what he made. That is what I am going to try and make. Only thing is he didn't have a wiring diagram. So if anyone had the diagram for the 2 different systems it would be helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
Definately 94-95, possibly (I think) 93 was the first year. keypad was not available in 96-97, which is a bummer, I miss that about the 95 I had. My guess is that you would need the body harness, but you might want to grab a 94-95 keyless module from a car that had the keypad and see if it will plug in, your code on the door would change to whatever that module is programmed for, but it would work with a factory remote. There is probably more wire swapping to it than that though. I'd love to do it on mine, but it would mean either cutting a hole in the door for the keypad, or replacing the door with one from a pre-96 car....but if you already have the keypad, somehow that makes it seem a bit easier.
93 definitely had it as mine is one and it came with the car as an option. I love this option as do family members as you can leave keys in the car and lock it.

Fobs are possible as replacements from Autozone/AdvanceAuto/Pep Boys as the TRW replacements work, the frequency is the only pain to get right if you do a transplant and don't have one to clone I would think.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a little bit of an update. I have found the pinout for the early key less system. I'm still looking for the 93+ pinout.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll try and scan the pinout from my EVTM later tonight
Thanks that would help a lot.
Well any ways I had a keyless module around so I did this with it.

I was going to go to the junk yard to day and get a keyless module that did the fob's but it has been raining today.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was a junk module. I figured I could use it to make an adapter form old to new plugs. You know make it plug and play. I was thinking about making harness and trying to sell them if people are interested.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sweet Thanks

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any one that is a member of SCCOA could one of you help me contact this guy on there. TwoTimeSC
He has already made the adapter that I am wanting to make and was wanting to know if he happened to make a diagram of his own.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just came back form the junk yard and got this.

Cost me a whole 13 bucks. Now it's time to make an adapter.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK I got it all wired up and she works like a dream.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
OK I got it all wired up and she works like a dream.
So now you have a keypad on the door, as well as a remote? That's sweet. How complicated was the swap? did the door keypad code change with the new module addition?

I would like to do the opposite to mine...I would like to add a door keypad to my 96...the ONLY part of this that seems scary, is that I would have to cut a hole in the door for the keypad.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea my car came with the key pad but did not have the remote ability. Now I have both. I made an adapter that looks like this.

For the most part it was just playing a game of match the same colored wires. O and yes I have a new door code now but I could just add my old code into the new module. Witch I more then likly will do.

Now on your module it might have a 5 digit code on it. So you might not need a new module.
you might have a plug in your door or you might not. You ever know.

On my explorer I have a remote but no keypad. But it does have a code on the keyless entry module.

I would look at yours first before you buy one to add a keypad.

I would also like to thank the people that helped me do this and that provided pics and pinouts. Thanks

·
Registered
833 Posts
I would imagine that you will need all the modules that go along with the key fob unit. I personally have never even considered doing so. So I know for sure.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts