TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
I had a pair as a kid.

Before they were Illegal to own I had a pair of Snakehead's in my 75 gallon freshwater tank. I got them when they were the size of my pinky finger and they grew and GREW and GREW till they were well over a foot long. They would eat 75 goldfish at a time and my Oscars were left with just a couple headless floaters.

As a kid I worked part time in a pet store in NY. I've had all kinds of fish (salt and freshwater) and those Snakeheads were very interesting to say the very least. The 75 gal tank was in my bedroom and because they are air breathers you could hear them "breathe" or "glup" air during the night. One got out and tried to make it past my cat that was on gaurd duty and after that one died I let the other go in the Hudson river (no $hit). I had them for 4yrs and they were truly evil creatures. They killed all the fish in the tank other then the two Oscars I had for 10 yrs mainly because they could not fit them in their mouth. The Oscars were cool and very personable fish. I could hold a goldfish out of the water by the tail and they would jump up and out to get it.

Ah, memories.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Yikes

remind me to take a bat with me whenever I go to Maryland, just to fight back the FISH!

·
Registered
726 Posts
You guys know whats really bullshit? I heard that there not going to charge the owner that dumped them with anything! What the hell?

I think it kinda looks like a walleye and a northern pike combined, just with darker scales

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, one of the articles says they have been found in california, texas and florida before. what really scares me is that there is a river 75 yards from the pond they are in, and im sure they could make it that 75 yards in three days if they tried. then who knows what would happen. a very hostile fish to say the least. they are the same as the snakeheads big... err dr. F talked about... very scary.

:(

and yes, i will be bringing bats with me when i travel down south, those fish are bad news.

·
Registered
946 Posts
hmm that gives me an idea...

someone gimme like 3-4 of those suckers and then some piranha and we'll have a duel to the death...

mortal kombat!!

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
cyntaxx said:
hmm that gives me an idea...

someone gimme like 3-4 of those suckers and then some piranha and we'll have a duel to the death...

mortal kombat!!
LOL> Piranhas vs. Giant Bettas? That would definately be something to see.

·
Administrator
14,210 Posts
AverageJoe said:

LOL> Piranhas vs. Giant Bettas? That would definately be something to see.
Aside from the obvious Beta vs Beta..

1 small colorful Angel fish vs 1 regular male Beta :D

3 Larger Angel fish vs 3 "Aussie Blue Lobsters"

1 male beta vs small Angelicus Pictus cat

1 normal Angel fish vs 1 nomal Angelicus Pictus cat

I had *way* too much fun with those things ;)

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
ShadowDragon said:

Aside from the obvious Beta vs Beta..

1 small colorful Angel fish vs 1 regular male Beta :D

3 Larger Angel fish vs 3 "Aussie Blue Lobsters"

1 male beta vs small Angelicus Pictus cat

1 normal Angel fish vs 1 nomal Angelicus Pictus cat

I had *way* too much fun with those things ;)
Your sadistic!

·
Administrator
14,210 Posts
GreenBird said:

Your sadistic!
Worse.. At the time I was a salesman.. Nothing gets college students to buy a lot of fish like watching a couple fish fight it out..

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
ShadowDragon said:

Worse.. At the time I was a salesman.. Nothing gets college students to buy a lot of fish like watching a couple fish fight it out..
Ya know, I'm one of those college students that would go to see fish fight and probably buy some fromya for makin em fight! :)

·
Administrator
14,210 Posts
AverageJoe said:

Ya know, I'm one of those college students that would go to see fish fight and probably buy some fromya for makin em fight! :)
See how easy that was? LOL.. Sorry haven't sold fish for 7 years and finally stopped being a salesman 5 years ago.

The fun trick at my last sales job was to set the vict..er customer down at the fastest/best computer in the store to explain what everything was and do their quote for their chintzy system.. Then once I was all done go show them how slow and crappy what they wanted was... ;)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
We have been talking about having 'cock fights' using Beta fish since I was a Freshman in college and my neighbor in the dorms was trying to kill the beta fish his ex girlfriend had given him, without the obvious metho of just pulling it out of water and leaving it there. You'd definitely sell me a couple with a dmolike that.

·
Registered
621 Posts
It would be a lot scarier if they could shoot poison or something, but they're just flopping fish. Just step on it, or run it over with your bird.:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts