TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"King of the Hill" racing - I've done it!

I have an opportunity tomorrow night to take one of my cars around the 1/2 mile track that is "Deleware Speedway".

Basically it's a shoot-out between street cars run by spectators, all for a T-Shirt.

Am not sure I want to risk taking the (bank's) Lincoln, but the Cougar (which is paid for) might be fun - but less capable on the turns.

My biggest worry is overspeeding into turn 3, and hitting the wall - where everybody who's crashed has hit. Turns 1+2 haven't given people enough room to accelerate to lose control speed, but #3 is after a 1/4 straightaway.

Any tips for turns on banks or should I just wing it and hope to hell nothing happens?

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Play it safe on your speed, and try to get in a couple practice laps so you can figure out some braking and steering for turn 3. And above all, listen to your tires. They'll begin to howl before they lose grip.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
if u slow down.. slow down w/ the wheels straight.. don't slow on a curve..

play lots of GT3 on PS2 before you go hehehe

slow straight, then take the turn and just about halfway, gun it :D

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Changed the topic title, seeing as I've now been through the King of the Hill :).

Went to the track last night, KOTH was a feature in the middle where about 25 or so private car owners took their street rides around the track, 2 at a time till the losers were all eliminated.

I was paired up against a early 90's Acura Integra for my first trip around the track, and it kicked my ***, so as the loser I had to exit and didn't get to go around again.

No big deal, this guy had alot of work done to the car, and he did very well against much nicer cars than my own too, beating alot of 5.0 Mustangs as well.

Was pretty fun though, I knew that the race was lost before turn 1 even, this guy walked me right off the line. So I really wasn't going to push my car to the limits on the corners - I played it safe and just enjoyed the trip around the track :).

The winner was a mid 90's Civic hatchback that even wiped out a 04 WRX!!!

Thanks for the tips guys, maybe next time they'll actually come in handy :D.

·
Ohio TCCoA
863 Posts
One other thing I know from when I used to work on dirt track e-mod is memorize the track. Run thru the laps in your head often before hand thinking about where you are going to start braking, where in the corner you can get back on the gas. Pick a visual cue point on the wall or track where you know you can not push past at speed and try to hit it everytime (hitting your marks) Best way to do that is find a point where you know you can make it thru the turn if you start braking there. After that move that spot a little deeper in till you know you can not go any deeper without hitting the brake and make it thru the corner. Like it was said above try not to brake and turn at the same time. You can bind up the front end and understeer to the wall or worse oversteer the rear around. Also setup a cue point inside each corner where you can start getting back on the gas. Hope this helps and makes sence to you. Good luck. Also one other thing you might want to invest in a 4 or 5 point harness. It will hold you in the seat ten times better then the factory seatbelt. This keeps you from having to use the steering wheel to keep you in the seat and will allow you to do a much concentrate more on and do a better job at driving the car.

Later,
jay

1 - 5 of 5 Posts