TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did the air silencer delete and now ive ordered the kn panel filter. i remember reading somwhere that i would have to file about an 1/8 inch off the filter housing tabs to make the filter fit properly....id just like this confirmed is all....thanks.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
yes, file the slots not the tabs

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
What is this?

I put mine in without doing anything. Is it leaking or something?

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
The rubber flange on the K&N panel filter is much thicker then it should be. It makes it a complete PITA to close the air box unless you take a file to the slots. The previous owner who tossed one in mine never did it, nor did i. In the stock air box it seals, but barely, if you can squeeze it closed.

imo the K&N panel filter is a POS. It fits like crap and it's also a lousy filter compared to stock paper filters. I'm debating whether to re-oil it again, or just toss a superior disposable filter in it and be done with the hassle. imo the only advantage the K&N panel filter has is long term cost savings.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
The K &N panel filters rubber flange is to thick. It makes it a complete PITA to close the airbox unless you take a file to it. The previous owner who tossed one in mine never did, nor did i. In the stock air box it seals, but barely.

imo the K&N panel filter is a POS. It fits like crap and it's also a lousy filter compared to stock. I'm debating whether to re-oil it again, or just toss a superior disposable filter on and be done with the hassle. imo the only advantage the K&N panel filter has is long term cost savings.

i agree. K&N is not what i though it was. watch this video. i was shocked when i saw it. these guys make some great points! like the dyno. every time someone runs their car on a dyno, the hood is up and there is a fan going. they dyno their products with the hood down. like real world conditions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThmW2SW1I-k

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Looks cool.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
sorry yall, i didnt buy that vid at all (well most of it anyway, all auto performace companies have simular ads for their products only showing the pro's).....ive had run ins with thoes types of filters....theyre ALOT more restrictive than theyre leading on......a freind of mine had a simular product on top of his edelbrock intake (carburated)....his truck backfired thru the carb and it caught fire (caused a hell of alot of damage)....i know were dealing with FI here but still, KN is the leading performace filter out there.....you dont get that title by not knowing what you are doing....basically to sum it up, these foam filters are ideal for off road vehicles...(quads, bikes ,trucks...ect)....this is just my two cents is all.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
yea but that was not the first filter study to show that K&N lets a lot of crud by. there is a post here somewhere about another air filter study. K&N did terrible. K&N is number one because of few compeditors... i think. ;) the thing that is keeping me away from K&N now is the oil.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^ill agree with the oil factor 100%.....but that also depends on how close your maf sensor is to your filter.....with our cars its been an issue.....we had no problems what so ever with oil and maf's on the focus boards.....even with the short ram intakes.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
yea. my sable had a K&N from a mustang on it. the MAF was at different location i have never seen before. but it was actually not directly in the air flow. ha ha if that makes sense. it had its own little tube system. i just cant explain it. this reminds me i have to get the special tool thingy to take out the MAF. FYI i picked up a can of CRC MAF cleaner and it worked great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts