TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
... who's there?? OH....lol

:tongue:

Anyways, with only 107k on the clock, the bird has developed a slight knock on cold mornings! This started about a month ago. It lasts for about 2-3 minutes and then goes away once it starts to warm up!

My questions are:

How serious can this be on a 4.6? I know my buddies 5.0 vic has had a knock for years and still runs fine!

What is most likely/common thing that causes the knocking on the 4.6? Sounds to be coming from down low...

Is there anything I could do to help prevent it?

If this matters, I have used 5w30 mobil 1 and switched to 10w30 with no difference. When I installed the cams, the motor was extremely clean, so it has been well maintained throughout it's life as far as oil changes.

I've never heard anyone I know 4.6 knock before and they have alot more miles and abuse than mine. The car had 2 owners before me. First ones being an older couple, then a older guy. So I don't see it being abused to much in it's life. Heck, it still had the original intake on it when I bought it which I blew 2 days after purchasing it while stuck in the snow! I've abused it here and there at the strip and what not, but that's nothing new...lol! The 4.6 can take tons of abuse. usually!

Hmmm, anyone have any opinions/advice for me?

Thanks!

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What exactly would be knocking on the top part of the engine. I figured it is rod knock, piston slap, or wrist pin play...

I will try and get a video of it tomorrow morning. The bird isn't gonna have enough time to cool down today. Plus it is pretty warm out right now!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts