TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://youtu.be/IT-12Nr8aG4

It's coming from the spindle (or knuckle, I don't know what it's called), and it sounds bad. I dont know what it is, but i dont think its the CV axle. If someone could help me figure this out Id be very appreciative. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
The knocking could be the CV axle, or it could be coming from the differential. It would be up to you to isolate it. The screeching could be the brakes or could be you roasted a wheel bearing. That too would be up to you to isolate. You can remove the brake caliper to see if the noise is still there. If it is, it could be the bearing which is inside the knuckle (the aluminum part that the 5-stud'ed wheel hub is installed into). If you remove the hub too, and can manage to suspend the half-shaft while it rotates, and the noise goes away, then its solely in the bearing. If it remains, then it could be the half-shaft. If you remove the half-shaft, and the noise goes away, then it was the half-shalft. If it continues, then it could be the differential. Process of elimination.

Oh, and the axle nut requires 250 ft-lbs of torque to reinstall. If you don't have the appropriate tools to tackle this, you might want to take it to a good mechanic.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips. Well, i popped the cover off the diff and nothing seems to be up there. And when it spins the opposite wheel (open diff, spins one at a time up in the air) theres no sound. So ill pull it apart to see if its the cv or the bearing or both. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The knocking could be the CV axle, or it could be coming from the differential. It would be up to you to isolate it. The screeching could be the brakes or could be you roasted a wheel bearing. That too would be up to you to isolate. You can remove the brake caliper to see if the noise is still there. If it is, it could be the bearing which is inside the knuckle (the aluminum part that the 5-stud'ed wheel hub is installed into). If you remove the hub too, and can manage to suspend the half-shaft while it rotates, and the noise goes away, then its solely in the bearing. If it remains, then it could be the half-shaft. If you remove the half-shaft, and the noise goes away, then it was the half-shalft. If it continues, then it could be the differential. Process of elimination.

Oh, and the axle nut requires 250 ft-lbs of torque to reinstall. If you don't have the appropriate tools to tackle this, you might want to take it to a good mechanic.
The spec is 198-245 lb/ft if I remember correctly. This will do the job.
1 2 in Drive Click Torque Wrench 25 250 ft lb TEKTON with Storage Case | eBay

It's also very handy for turning your motor over by hand.

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, another noise. This time I know its the outer CV joints, both sides. Its not a popping noise like how most CVs sound when they are going bad, it sounds more like a duck quaking. Im pretty sure its just the boots because they seem to vibrate a bit when I hear the sound (turned the axles by hand and ran a finger across the boot). Is this a sign of the CV boots going bad? Theres no puncture or grease around the boot either.

·
Super Moderator
7,662 Posts
That boot noise might just be because the suspension is drooped. As far as the original noise goes, remove the brake calipers and rotor and see if it still makes the noise. If it does, it is likely the wheel bearing.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as the original noise goes, remove the brake calipers and rotor and see if it still makes the noise. If it does, it is likely the wheel bearing.
I replaced both rear calipers and the noise went away. Still no clue exactly what it was. I have new stock height rear springs to go in, you think that'll fix it?

·
Super Moderator
7,662 Posts
When I said the suspension was drooped, I didn't mean anything about the spring height. I just meant you had the car jacked up with the wheel off, and so the suspension was unloaded, which means the axle was at significantly more of an angle than it would be at ride height. The 1-2" difference between stock springs and lowering springs isn't much, but the 6+" that it drops down when unloaded is significant.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts