TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sometimes abuse my Bird by letting her sit for a week at a time. When I go to start her up, I hear knocking for a second or two. It sounds like the oil isn't present at some parts for the first few seconds after start up. It sounds just like it does when you just changed the oil and strated the car for the first time.
Should I be concerned about this, or is it normal? The engine does not smoke, nor does it eat enough oil to be added between oil changes with just about 113k on it. Thanks.

Jim

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
uh oh...

It's not Fram, but it's a no name. Could it be the problem?

Jim

·
Mushroom Stamp Layer
844 Posts
Get a motorcraft filter or something named other than Fram. That knock sounds like a drystart...definatly not good. When the knock happens...look at your oil gauge...it probably doesn't move while it's knocking and then once it goes up you'll hear the knocking stop.

Seabass

·
8,239 Posts
Hmm.

Very intersting, about a year ago I was running fram filters and I was getting a similar knock for about two seconds only right after I changed the oil, and put in a fresh filter. Now, I run motorcraft filters, and the knock is no longer there. Why would this be?

JH

·
Registered
22 Posts
There is talk of Drain back vakle issues with Fram

I use them with 10W40 Mobil and haven't heard "rattling or knocking" at cold start. Been using them for years just like Fords maybe it's loyality I don't know, maybe it's the fact that a Motocraft filter left me stranded in the middle of nowhere Arizona when the seam burst. Never had an issue with Frams will keep not having issues untill I do have one.

·
Registered
347 Posts
All of them?

It depends on the type of Fram filter (which are made by Allied Signal), and while they do have an anti-drain valve on a lot, they are made rather cheaply and out of a nitrile rubber diaphragm which fails easily in cold weather. Infact you can simply look inside and tell if your filter has the valve. But as mentioned, even if it does, you aren't exactly safe.

I don't know how many different "levels" of filter they supply for the MN-12, but I've used Motorcraft and now Mobil One.

Fram has dropped off in terms of quality significantly. Avoid them.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm using a K&N and I have the same problem. After the car sits overnight, it knocks just a little when I start it. Guess I won't use their oil filters anymore.

·
8,239 Posts
Thats interesting about the k&n filters. I would never buy those to start with because they are over ten dollars each, right? I hear they filter a very small particle, but the last thing you want is knocking at startup.

I'm starting to like the motorcraft filter more and more, especially because I think it is the same price as the cheap fram is at walmart.

Justin

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hey, anything for my bird, lol! I was experimenting, but I don't think the filter is worth the $$. I did pay a little over $10 for it. I guess you live and learn.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Every once in awhile.....

Ford does something right. LOL.

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
I use a puralator...

I dont know if i spelled that right but they have the anti drain back.I used that on my Mark and never had the knock on start up and the 32 valve is more known then the 16 valve for knock on start up.You can get them at Discount,AutoZone and I think Pep-Boys.Not sure though.
Chris

·
Registered
621 Posts
seabass said:
problem is that Fram doesn't have an anti-drainback valve so dry starts will happen...period.
Are NAPA filters like this also?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
My car knocks/ rattles whatever when it sits for more than a couple hours....whether or not I have a motorcraft filter or Fram Extra guard....(both of these had anti-drainback valves) Any other ideas on what it could be?
-Rob

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
knock at startup

My 96 t-bird did that when I first got it...I couldnt ever figure out what it was caused by, and it would only do it after the car sat all night...I changed the battery a couple months after I got it, and not only did the car fire right up a lot quicker then before, but the startup knock was gone, and never re-appeared for the rest of the time I owned the car. Could it have been the starter due to the engine not turning over very quickly due to a almost dead battery? Possibly, but I'm not sure...Try a fresh battery, worked for me.

Hope this helps

Earl

1 - 18 of 18 Posts