TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i was riding with my girlfreind on the highway in her 94 3.8 Thunderbird LX. The cars shifter lights are broken so it can be difficult to tell what gear it is in. For about 10 minuits she was going 60+ on the highway in 2nd gear. :eek: Ever seince this incident, her engine has been makeing a distinct knocking noise, espcially when accelerating. Whats going on? :confused:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Was the engine redlined? It's not a real good idea to do 60 mph in second gear, for 10 minuted, but I wouldn't think that that would hurt the engine, unless those speeds are enough to put the car into the redline. Offhand, I wouldn't think they'd be.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
if its the auto no it wouldn't be close... you can do like 55 in first before it hits the rev limiter I believe. 60 is probably in the 3000+ range. no probelm there.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm not sure how much help I'm going to be here, but I'd give this a try.

Check the oil...make sure you're not low. If you are, fill it to full on the dipstick and cross your fingers.

I'm assuming it's more of a heavy click then an knock.

If it truely is a deep heavy knock, you've likely got some bearing issues, and it's probobly new engine time.

I highly doubt that your 10 minute drive in second gear contributed to this. I think it's just coincidental, unless your were driving the car in the redline for the entire time. I kind of agree with the last poster... I don't think that 60 mph in second would redline.

I'd definitely have a mechanic take a quick look at it in either event, but if your oil is good and you're knocking, it sounds like engine time.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
yeah I hit the wrong button in my last post its 45*... and yeah I tested it out this morning around the school parking lot. 60MPH in second yielded abotu 3800. But it will be lower for you cuz my 96 has 3.27's and your g/f's has 3.08's I believe. So you aren't close to redline. I would try checking the oil. Cuz that will make the tap noise. but like sconut said... if its a heavy knock its probalby time for a new engine. unless something underneath the car is loose and is bouncin up and down bangin something.

·
Registered
95 Posts
How did you make out with this problem slow95xr7? Just curious... ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts