TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the situation...I've got a 96 LX 3.8 w/ about 76k on the ticker.....now I'm getting a slight knock under load. The only time it happens is when it's in gear above about 1400 rpm...so nothing at idle, nothing in park. At first I thought it was coming from the motor, but this weekend I had the rear, and passenger seats out (I was moving, so I needed to create more cargo room :) ), and it sounds like it might be coming from the rear....which makes sense, with it only happening under load I assumed it was something in the drivetrain....so what I'm wondering is, is there a common problem that I should be looking into, or any suggestions of what it might be?

Thanks,
Marc Haserodt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Could be a bad U-Joint - try this first though, to make sure

I had the same thing happen to my 97 3.8 - would knock real bad when I floored it, but was okay the rest of the time.

Have a friend stand in front of the car, but off to the side (out of the car's way, for safety's sake) and with the hood up, power brake it.

That is, stand on the brake hard, put the car in drive, then push the gas pedal hard (maybe don't quite floor it)

If the engine jumps quite a bit, it's the engine mounts. Also, if it's the mounts, you won't hear the thump with the hood up, because that thump for me was the engine hitting the bottom of the hood.

Josh C

1 - 3 of 3 Posts