TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I bought a this 96 back in August didn't seem to have any problems till now.

About 2 months ago the dash would suddenly loose electrical power , check gauges light would come on and oil gauge would drop to zero. It has not done this since about September, when I started putting the synthetic blend in.The "check gauges" light came on when I stopped, and the RPMs dipped to 500, and the oil pressure gauge dropped too

Every time I start it when its cold or sitting over night I get a knock for about 5 secs, until the gauge moves. I am using valvoline 5w30 sythetic blend with motorcraft filter. Currently oil gauge runs on the M of NORM. Car runs fine just not sure if I have a bad lifter, oil pump or even worse a motor. It does not have a knock except at start up, I drive about 70 miles day to work and back.

The last time i did an oil change it knocked loud (the motor really shook hard)before the pressure built, I always prefill the filter.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Sounds like either bearing noise (crank) or valvetrain to me. Have you checked the oil pressure w/ a real guage? Might just be the sound of the upper end until the oil pressure pumps up. My 5.0 has done this for years when it gets cold out, and I have yet to run into any mechanical issues. Of course I'm not running a syn. blend oil, just plain ol dino oil.

Jay

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Try dumping a bottle or 2 of STP or motor honey in the oil to make it really thick. If the knock gets lower or completely goes away at cold start its time for new rod bearings. Last 3.8 I rebuilt the bearings were half their normal thickness, the crank was wasted, but the rods were nearly perfect still. I installed a new crank and bearings and it has gone another 10K since then.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to get a mechanical gauge today, anyone know which fittings I will also need to pickup. I don't think its a lifter, my SC has tick until it gets warm and goes away, this is definately coming from the bottom end on startup. It only does it at startup, it runs great thru the rpm range.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called my local dealer ship and they said it could be simple as a oil bad filter check valve, this is like my 3rd oil change in this car and only knocked hard this time. Going to change the filter and then check the pressure.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Good point, put it in a warm engine, then check cold. Do the oil filter swap first, but I have never heard of a Motorcraft drainback valve fail. Now if you had said Fram...................

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should be able to remove the factory pressure sensor and just install the mechanical gauge to check the pressure, correct? I am probably just going to replace the pressure sensor since I will already have it off.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
If you're going to install a mechanical gauge, there is a second fitting right next to the factory gauge fitting in the filter adapter. No need to remove the factory fitting.

Rod (racecougar) has pics of the set up in here somewhere. He used an electrical gauge, but I used the same location for my mechanical gauge. Its even easy to get to.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
start running 10w30 in it

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, got the oil changed, put 5W30 back in. Had about 600 miles on it and it came out jet black like it does after about 3000 miles usually. My guess is something was wrong with the filter. It only took about 4 secs. for it to reprime after the change, not 15 or so after the last one. Got it sitting outside to cool down then I'll restart it, looks like won't be able to get the gauge on until Friday.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well chekced the oil pressure runs 12psi at hot idle, going to put some dino 10w30 in and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
and use a steel core filter. Frams are cardboard core, lol

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
4 quarts castrol 10w30 and 1 quart lucas stabilizer, motorcraft filter

cold 30 psi idle, 60psi 2000rpm
hot 15 idle, 40 psi 2000 rpm

does this sound ok?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
edit..... sitting for 2 hours outside, no knock and 60psi cold, 45psi in gear....

·
Registered
147 Posts
Mine did the same thing, then it ended with a motor swap! :mad:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
kinda what i figured, anyone got a spare motor laying around in NW Ohio

1 - 20 of 39 Posts