TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've already read through most of the old Koni/Bilstein titled threads..Now I'm ready to start a new one.. :D

I'd like some fresh opinions, and some comments from members with first hand experience..On to the question..

Have any of you ran both the Koni, and the Bilstein shocks on the rear of your MN12??(not simultaneously)

Describe the difference you felt between the two brands of shocks..

For example..Are the Bilstein rear shocks as soft as Koni rear shocks on the softest setting?

Thanks

Rayo..

·
Registered
454 Posts
Got Bilsteins with Eibachs.....now I don't have anything else to compare it too but I feel like this set up is a bit soft....I want a very firm ride.

Compared it to my wife's mazda 6 stock springs and Monroe struts/shocks the car is a lot firmer than mine just sitting in the garage and shaking an edge the Tbird seems to have more give and bounce than the mazda.

Now maybe I need to send one of my bilstein sets in to get rebuilt then compare it to the non rebuilt set....Im really debating on just getting Blues up front with those Vogland springs.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has anyone else run both Koni and Bilstein shocks?

I'd like to hear your opinion after using both of them..

Thanks..

Rayo..

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
I've had the Bilsteins on my '93 Mark VIII and currently run the Koni adjustables.

The Bilsteins are stiffer than the Koni rear shock when they are on the softest setting and I believe the Koni shocks to be stiffer than the Bilsteins when at the stiffest setting but not by a large amount.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You Very Much!

That's exactly what I wanted to know..

:thumbsup:

Rayo..

·
Super Moderator
12,083 Posts
Well, never say never ... there's always someone who's done it.... I stand corrected.

So which ones are you going with and what's the price difference?

·
Super Moderator
10,666 Posts
I have not tried the Bilsteins; the Konis are awesome, and allow tuning to the Nth degree if you want.

I want Koni's; the last time DLF talked to a rep, they said they needed 50 sets to make it worthwhile.

Y'all recon the new owners can Jack some sense in their asses??

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, never say never ... there's always someone who's done it.... I stand corrected.

So which ones are you going with and what's the price difference?
Just comparing prices between the two..It's about a $60 difference..

I have a brand new set of rear Sport shocks sitting in boxes that I was going to use..

Then the other day while I was at work on break..I was surfing Ebay on my tablet, and noticed how much the Koni rears were going for..

So..I may have a NOS set of rear Sport shocks available for sale soon.. :D

I have a lot of weight in my trunk, and when I'm on the back roads opening her up..The rear shocks don't do well in the dips of the road..

I'll probably use the Konis set on their stiffest setting, and air bags if necessary..

Is there any rear coil spring Konis don't do well with??..They could probably dampen a wet noodle?? :tongue:

Rayo..

·
Super Moderator
12,083 Posts
Just comparing prices between the two..It's about a $60 difference..

I have a brand new set of rear Sport shocks sitting in boxes that I was going to use..

Then the other day while I was at work on break..I was surfing Ebay on my tablet, and noticed how much the Koni rears were going for..

So..I may have a NOS set of rear Sport shocks available for sale soon.. :D

I have a lot of weight in my trunk, and when I'm on the back roads opening her up..The rear shocks don't do well in the dips of the road..

I'll probably use the Konis set on their stiffest setting, and air bags if necessary..

Is there any rear coil spring Konis don't do well with??..They could probably dampen a wet noodle?? :tongue:

Rayo..
$60 more each (Total of $120 more) or $30 each (Total of $60 more)?

What do you keep in your trunk that's so heavy? Stereo box and amps or a full size spare?

Black Cat has a set of the adjustable Koni's I'd be interested to hear his input.

You might want to shed some of that weight in the trunk first. I think I heard somewhere that running the Koni's at their firmest setting can be a recipe for cracking the unibody.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I can only speak on the Koni's I had on my SVO. I set them in the full "Competition" mode, and they were fracken' awesome.... Like a giant gocart. Only wish I could afford them now. I know, the balance is totally different between the MN12and the SVO, but loved the Koni's.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
$60 more each (Total of $120 more) or $30 each (Total of $60 more)?

What do you keep in your trunk that's so heavy? Stereo box and amps or a full size spare?

Black Cat has a set of the adjustable Koni's I'd be interested to hear his input.

You might want to shed some of that weight in the trunk first. I think I heard somewhere that running the Koni's at their firmest setting can be a recipe for cracking the unibody.
Total of $60 more..

Yeah speaker box, amps, and batteries..

I have room for a mini-spare, but it's easier to call for a tow.. :tongue:

I'm not ready to downsize my stereo system yet..I enjoy the free back massage way too much..lol

Black Cat has Konis, and a manual transmission..So if he has had any issues with crackage..I don't know if I would necessarily place all the blame on the Konis.. :zdunno:

Thanks for the tip anyways..We'll see if anyone else chimes in about that..

Rayo..

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
I've had the Bilsteins on my '93 Mark VIII and currently run the Koni adjustables.

The Bilsteins are stiffer than the Koni rear shock when they are on the softest setting and I believe the Koni shocks to be stiffer than the Bilsteins when at the stiffest setting but not by a large amount.
My Koni front shocks were stiffer than the Bilstein fronts at the mid setting, for the rears the Konis had to be at the stiffest setting to be stiffer than the Bilstein HD Cobras. Currently I'm running Tokico Blues on the front and am considering a new set of Tokico adjustables for a cobra mustang for the back as I am focusing on how it tracks, handles, and squats during launches at the track. The bird gets fed this year so my whole rear setup is getting changed.

Excuse the lateness of my reply, Honeymoon is over now.

Also blues are stiffer than sports by a little in the front, and about the same as Bilsteins without the pothole fear :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
10,666 Posts
A agree about the Blues; I don't like the variable rate springs I bought with them as well as sport springs, the variable part makes it feel floaty on the highway.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
A agree about the Blues; I don't like the variable rate springs I bought with them as well as sport springs, the variable part makes it feel floaty on the highway.
Monroe Sensitracs on stock springs also give the car a floaty feeling going over dips in the hwy.

They did that since new, and now that they have some miles on them.......well let's just say it's not improving!

Al

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've got the Koni 'Yellows' on the front of my Mustang and I love them. It's a real shame they aren't available for the front of these cars anymore as I'd love to have a pair. I've got some slightly used Sport shocks for the front of mine but I'm not sure Konis on the rear would work well with them. Guess I will go with the Bilsteins on the rear...

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Suggestions?

I installed some OEM Motorcraft shocks to replace my original shot sport rears, the rear is a bit tighter now since they are new, but still too soft for my liking.

How are the Gabrial Ultras? I heard they are a bit stiffer than stock. The back of this car seems to need more tightening up then the front. I'm considering getting the Bilstein but worried they will be too stiff.

I'd love to find a pair of new sport shocks for the rear. I have a pair of NOS Monroe Reflex im going to install up front, but want to figure out the rear first.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts