TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Yes they are, been at least 12 months I think. I've seen guys on SCCoA talking about searching around trying to find anything that happens to be on a retailer's shelf somewhere, not much luck so far. Good shocks for sure, they were nice in my 95 SC, controlled the heavy car fairly well, even on track.

cheers
Ed

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes they are, been at least 12 months I think. I've seen guys on SCCoA talking about searching around trying to find anything that happens to be on a retailer's shelf somewhere, not much luck so far. Good shocks for sure, they were nice in my 95 SC, controlled the heavy car fairly well, even on track.

cheers
Ed
Take a saw to the car and lighten it up, you'll like them even more. ;)

Thanks for doing the contact work DLF. Doesn't look like the following is quite strong enough to justify them making another run, though, which is a shame.

Question though: This ebay ad lists that part number as an DSM part... any chance there's some compatability?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KONI-YELLOW-SPORT-SHOCKS-STRUTS-SET-95-99-ECLIPSE-/320717969412?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aac47d804&vxp=mtr

·
Super Moderator
10,576 Posts
DLF, I've noticed some Hyundai and BMW inserts seem to be very similar; can you pry some specs out of Koni?

Find something close?

I'd be a test platform for a discount... (Hell, I'll end up buying some if I know I can make them fit. :D )

I'd buy two sets, if we can get them made.

·
Super Moderator
10,576 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Hey Eric, what are you driving these days? Did you get a Mark or another bird or something? Champion'ized cougar is sold now isn't it?

·
Super Moderator
10,576 Posts
Damned devoted to the business of MN12s, nice work.
Agreed; DLF makes great parts, also! :)

But he also has a connection at koni. There are several cars with similar suspensions, with info we can get something to work.

Koni can't officially support it; they don't make shocks that fit our cars, in their opinion. I understand their stance; America is a litigious country.

I just feel that there's a similar insert that would work, if we could get the proper info as to which one fits.

There's a race insert that is the right size, but attachment is problematic... :) And it's made for a lighter mercedez, iirc. :) The double adjustable one's second adjustment is where our insert is held together, lol.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When entertaining the idea of custom shocks... its usually simpler to get custom shocks. I think we may have unique needs with our cars in full trim; few "performance" cars have this much weight on the nose, and that will determine what will work. A gutted car, with no AC stuff and missing basically everything up front that doesn't propel the car may be able to use valving designed for the fat mustang cobras..... if the moment arm is the same, that is.

·
Super Moderator
16,975 Posts
Problem with custom shocks is long term availability, which is why we're in this boat. Design, the QA1s for example are best suited for 1/4 mile than street or road course. And cost. I sure as hell am not paying $700 for a pair of shocks that might not even be replacable in the future.

Why are we so focused on Koni? Bilstein makes similar inserts as well and they make just as good shocks as Koni IMO

·
Super Moderator
10,576 Posts
Anybody got any connections at Bilstein?

Same issues as above apply, tho.

We could threaten to picket their headquarters...

'Occupy' their front lawn with a bunch of birds, cats, and marks?

·
̇
3,701 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,576 Posts
I've seen pics of a bunch of shocks like that over the years. :)

That's not bilstein's fault; that's a large northern pothole without sport springs, lol.

Stiff shocks are hard on the unibody as well; without stiffeners, it will crack eventually.

Stuffing a wheel full speed into a 6" curb doesn't do that to a shock, BTW. It's not good for the wheel... or the spindle...

·
Registered
839 Posts
Funny, Right where the shock bolt to the LCA is where my car is squawking like krazy >:-| It was my fault tho, not lining up the shock hole with the top of the mount. So i had to twist it about 1/2 inch so the bolt could go through, Now i wore out the bushing i think becuz after i got it corrected is squeeks from that rubber lol. New LCA on the way!

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Problem with custom shocks is long term availability, which is why we're in this boat. Design, the QA1s for example are best suited for 1/4 mile than street or road course. And cost. I sure as hell am not paying $700 for a pair of shocks that might not even be replacable in the future.
the QA1's are corevette shocks modded to fit our chassis.
They are also rebuildable, and you can get whatever valving you want.
that and any spring size and weight, you can use these for corner carving as well.

I actually am building my car for both types of racing.......its nice to have fully adjustable suspension to suit the needs of any racing.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts