TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does any one know how to install koni's front inserts? i read a couple of posts, but the weren't to descriptive. pics would be greatly appreciated. i ordered the koni's and i'm nervous about installation, they keep saying is pretty straight forward but they talk about cutting a pressurized strut open. i don't think of myself as a begginer 'cause i've done engine and tranny swaps but it does make me wonder if i have everything (tools) i need to tackle this one. please help!:confused:

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Koni's

Hello

Well you drill A small hole in the bottom of the shock.
Cut top off. I used a high speed cut off tool.
Empty shock.
redrill bottom hole to 3/8 I think.
Debur all.
insert the Insert, put bolt in bottom with lock-tite.
rubber upper sleeve
reinstall spring assembly.
put back on car.

I used a set of Bad shocks when I did it.

:D

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
The trick is to cover your drill / the bottom of the shock while you are drilling a small hole .. when it breaks through it will spray even if you think the shock is bad. I cut the top right below the top weld with a hack saw around the outer tube.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
It's easy enough but you need a good clamp and you can use a hacksaw to cut the shock housing open like I did....it's tedious but pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for posting. really helped! all i have todo is wait case i just found out my koni's are on backorder. i'm also waiting on the vogtland springs 3/4" drop, wonder if they are a good combo with my shocks. i bought sport springs before when i pulled my bird out of the dealer(back in '95). i guess they were early prototypes because they made my car look good, but it felt like ridding a floorjack!
i've heard very good things about the vogtland's. looking forward to try 'em. any thoughts on this?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts