TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in search of new shocks, and have read on here that they are NOT available anymore. But I have been searching the last hour and have found a few sites that "say" they have some. THey are WAY expensive, but before I make an extremely expensive mistake, could someone verify that this is exactly what I need? Thanks

http://www.carstuffoutlet.com/product/Koni-Shock-Sport-Series/Default.aspx?gfid=p362-c30235

http://www.autowerksofamerica.com/shopforaccessories.epc?partid=659467&trackingid=GoogleBase

http://www.whipaccessories.com/product/Koni-Shock-Sport-Series/Default.aspx?gfid=p1501-c124734

C.Hill

·
Super Moderator
11,855 Posts

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's the price they've always been at. Chances are they're listed on those sites but don't have them stocked, thus won't be able to get them.
Get the Cobra Bilsteins for the back. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=105250

I think your only decent choice for the fronts now are the tokico blues.
All right, all right!!!! I'll just get the Tokico's.....Just every time I read a forum post about them, XR7-4.6 is always saying how inferior and junk they are and I know he knows good stuff. I was just still hoping for Koni's. Thanks again guys

C.Hill

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Hey I heard a myth that a race shock insert can be used but isnt listed on ford applications its a generic insert. It involved more modification but can be used. Maybe someone can google around to prove that on false. THis is just a rumor I heard but Ill see if I can find something more conclusive.

Straight from Koni

8610 Universal Racing Strut Insert
The 8610-1149 McPherson strut cartridge insert fits a variety of strut housings. The KONI 8610-1149 offers externally adjustable rebound damping with unique valving charictaristics that have been developed in conjunction with many top racing teams and chassis builders. The piston rod is designed to fit through a 5/8" bearing/camber plate assembly. To determine the correct fitting of an 8610-1149, please follow these guidelines: Measure the inside depth of your strut housing. (NOTE: At this time also make certain that the inside diameter of your housing is large enough to accept the KONI insert, which has an O.D. of 43.5mm, 1.71".) For the KONI insert to be installed properly the measured depth of your strut housing must be 326-329mm (12.83" - 12.95"). In the event that your existing housing depth is greater than the above recommended depth, the user must then fabricate a spacer and place it under the KONI insert so as to achieve the proper depth relationship. The 8610-1149 is supplied with a threaded locknut M48x1.5 (thread and pitch)to retain the insert into the strut housing. If a different locknut is required for you application, please refer to the chart below to determine which part number you need when placing your order.

Konis just got a lot more complicated.

·
Super Moderator
16,738 Posts
Yeah a custom upper mount with a spherical bearing would likely be needed. The most MN12 specific part of the Konis from what I can tell (besides the valving) was the piston rod and the way it mounts to the upper shock mount.

Personally I think I'll look into other cars that use inserts that are in the same general weight class as the MN12 and adapt them the same way. That'll save quite a few pennies and will likely be ALOT more street friendly than the race inserts.
All right, all right!!!! I'll just get the Tokico's.....Just every time I read a forum post about them, XR7-4.6 is always saying how inferior and junk they are and I know he knows good stuff. I was just still hoping for Koni's. Thanks again guys

C.Hill
I still do lol, but they're the best option now that Bilstein, Ford(OEM sport) and Koni don't make fronts anymore.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Shock Recommendations IMHO:

1) Koni- Excellent for racing applications- overpriced for street applications
2) Tokico, QA1 & Bilstein- A very good shock for street/strip applications. If you are running very stiff tires on the street (such as Bridgstone that are 100% steel belted or tires with profiles shorter than 50 series), these provide the extra give that you need for both comfort & stability
3) KYB- A very good shock for street/strip applications. If you are running a softer tires on the street (such as BFG that are a mix of steel & nylon belted or tires with profiles not shorter than 50 series), these provide the extra stiffness that you need for both comfort & stability. The Exel-G’s (formerly GR-2) are the equivalent to the Edelbrock IAS automatic adjusting units. Overall, stiffness between the Gas-a-just and the GR2’s are the same, the difference is the GR-2's valving which stiffens things up from a oem setting to that of the Gas-a-just units.. Best shock for the $/best price typically found at Performance Suspension Technologies (PST) and typically about 1/3 less than Bilstein.
4) Gabriel- A very nice good quality HD OEM replacement type unit.

·
3,868 Posts
Yeah a custom upper mount with a spherical bearing would likely be needed. The most MN12 specific part of the Konis from what I can tell (besides the valving) was the piston rod and the way it mounts to the upper shock mount.

Personally I think I'll look into other cars that use inserts that are in the same general weight class as the MN12 and adapt them the same way. That'll save quite a few pennies and will likely be ALOT more street friendly than the race inserts.

I still do lol, but they're the best option now that Bilstein, Ford(OEM sport) and Koni don't make fronts anymore.
I knew if there was a will there was a way. But really Im going to be ok with tokicos for now. If someone else wants to play Dr Shock and operate with a Koni insert from another application I would love to see it done.

·
Super Moderator
10,278 Posts
Personally I think I'll look into other cars that use inserts that are in the same general weight class as the MN12 and adapt them the same way.
I've been looking, but haven't found anything other than the race inserts.

The race inserts are a nightmare to mount, from my research; and they're bigger tubes as well.

If someone finds another set of inserts that are close, I'd take a chance. :)

Race inserts are $300ea, the front's were 200 ea, toiko blues are over 100...

·
Super Moderator
16,738 Posts
I've been looking, but haven't found anything other than the race inserts.

The race inserts are a nightmare to mount, from my research; and they're bigger tubes as well.

If someone finds another set of inserts that are close, I'd take a chance. :)

Race inserts are $300ea, the front's were 200 ea, toiko blues are over 100...
There's a lot of strut cars out there that use inserts, BMW being an example that comes to mind. Not just Koni either, I know I've seen pictures of Bilstein inserts that fasten into the bottom of the stock tube like the Konis.

·
3,868 Posts
I think until one of us works at koni this is going to be trial and error even to a small degree. How much information can one get before actually buying the shock? I think there is a small chance a solution lies in those inserts matt mentioned. Maybe even an SUV insert.

Ill be cruising on BLUES in the mean time though, its doing fine with me. Id like to tune the shocks with adjustables one day I hope its solved by then LOL.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts