TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

has anyone used cats in conjunction with the kooks 2.5 headers and hooked it up to an ART system? i have done some searches and found what 96 goldbird has posted back in feb in response to a similar question. my plan was to have a 45 degree or so bend off the header and then have the cats inline before the second set of O2 sensors. there isn't much room to put them close to the header without the cats sticking out half way below the bottom of the car. the car is not lowered. there is room further back, however i was under the impression that the cat should be close to the header for it to function properly. i was wondering if anyone had any luck with this since feb. any help or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

thank you,
hans

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Sophosis,

that is the post that i found, and pretty much all that i found so far.

Does anyone know how close the cat needs to be to the header? it looks like i would be putting further back, after the tranny mount brace or abouts. that is pretty much where the third cat was on the stock setup, so theoritcally it should work i guess...

I don't know

any thoughts?

thank you,
hans

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
the third cat is pointless anyway so that theory doesn't hold true. But I figure if the cats are within a foot of the collector of the headers I think they should work just fine. If you have emissions testing then you won't pass with highflow cats anyway so as long as they're on there they'll pass visual inspection and state requirements, even if they are too far back to work properly.
-Thomas

·
Registered
987 Posts
Why do you say that hi-flo cats won't pass inspection? I kinda thought that was the whole point of the hi-flows was to meet emissions testing with minimum restrictions on the exhaust...

Sam

·
Registered
513 Posts
Is it a heat problem????? Cause if the headers are ceramic coated then the heat will travel farther through the exhaust and then you could mount cats further back......If they work with heat then this might work.... Hell maybe just our trans heat will do the trick...hahahahaha

Just a thought......i'm considering the same setup....

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
The point of the Kooks being mid-length and not full-length was so guys that need to can use cats.

·
Registered
583 Posts
By NC emissions law.. mufflers/cat has to be the same number as factory.. 3 cats and 2 mufflers... you can have more.. but not less. If a shop is inspecting as it should, legally, they also do a visual inspection.. so you can't really delete anything.. Half the counties in the state have moved to OBD2 testing only now.. and leave the pre95 vehicles at visual inspections only.. My county, Wake County, won't be doing that for another two years, I think.. so we'll still have tail-pipe tests for a while longer.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
it should work with a falange that would bolt up to the header, id think the cats wouldnt even have to be all that far back, maybe about wherre the tranny mount is, or in front of that might work, but what ever the case is, puting cats on kooks headers should work, and even if the cats are mounted back more theyd still be useful for emessions purposes

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
slayer said:
Why do you say that hi-flo cats won't pass inspection? I kinda thought that was the whole point of the hi-flows was to meet emissions testing with minimum restrictions on the exhaust...

Sam
Very few brands of high-flow cats will actually allow you to pass emissions testing, depending on how strict the emissions guidelines are. The only reason I got mine is because it's legally required to HAVE cats...not that they work...but that they are there.
-Thomas

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
mine are, plug in, o you have cats, see ya, ill just put cats on mine to make it sound better, if/when i do duals

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
actually Sophosis on on the 1994 u have to have 3 cats per the updated emission book were i work but if u have a 95-97 u only have to have 2 twc why that is i dont know its not a miss print either ive looked in other books but if u have the cats on there its more than likely gonna pass inspection in my book heck i know hans passed the tail pipe with a high flow truck cat were the the third one was no other cats so im sure once me and hans figure out his exhaust it will still pass the sniffer lol later all also Hans from what i understand the cats will just clear

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes, in order for the cats to function properly the exhaust would need to be at a
minimum temperture as far as i know.

these high flow cats are 3 way cats so they will work and pass emissions. As far as I remember, the third cat on the stock setup is a 3 way cat as well. the 2 cats at the manifold on the stock setup are precats or 2 ways cats. the difference between the two is "filtering" of a particular emission (which i forget) on the 3 way that the 2 way does not. when i had my exhaust done 3 years ago, the guy looked it up in his book and said I had to keep the all 3 cats, however when he looked at an older book, i only needed to keep the third cat, which was replaced with a high-flow truck cat, and could get rid of the precats. Matter o'fact it was a place in Garner.

thank you,
hans

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
ok i cut my 3rd cat, so your saying id fail emessions, i always thought the 3rd cat was the cat that actaully just burned up what the 1st two missed, and the front two cats werent precats, i think im gonna try and ask someone in the shop that doesnt sound right to me

·
Registered
99 Posts
Han solo,

This is why I begged for them to make long tubes. I never planned on running cats and didn't care, but when I saw the initial pictures of the placement of the collectors, I knew the whole "we built these so you can run cats" stuff was crazy. Don't get me wrong, theres room, but on a lowered car it's hard enough to get the tubes set to not scrape when connected to my ART system, much less hang some cats under there without scraping. It can be done, but how well it would sit and fit under the car is another story.

I had altered mustang MAC longtubes on the car and took them off because of the quality and the clearance to many pieces in the car knowing the kooks are better quality. I'm happy with the headers but on a LOWERED car, getting the bends to flow well and sit right with the collector and add cats is a hard notion. I think you'd have more clearance with longtubes. I know if I had cats under my car currently, they would hang lower then the MACs ever did.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts