TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm swapping an 02 GT engine and trying to get headers for it. I was looking at KOOK's but I'm worried about the EGR tube that is supposed to go in there. The headers dont come with an opening and Bill Evanoff told me he could just sell me a "chip" that would "fix" that problem. Or an EGR "kit" where I would have to drill a hole into the headers...then later get them ceramic coated. I'm confused, don't I need that EGR tube? Will I pass smog and CA emissions with this?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The Tbird Exhaust manifolds will bolt onto the 02 GT engine with no issues? But the Mustang manifolds wont work? I'm confused again...

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
The exhuast is dependant on the chassis. the engine blocks are virtually the same.

You will not pass CA emissions without an EGR. I dobt they'd pass you even with an EGR on the Kooks....as I don't think they are smog certified.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info...I think im just going to get the Tbird exhaust manifolds extrude honed. Too bad you cant use the GT manifolds...still dunno why...

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
The steering column precludes the driver's side GT manifold from working without major modification on an MN12. The passenger side manifold has no issue. It is because of the car, not the engine itself.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Using one stang manifold and one tbird manifold would be bad news right? I guess the best way is to just re-use the old manifolds...extrude hone them?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have headers Kook's headers on an 02 GT 4.6 and had no problem installing the EGR tube back.... a little tight but ok.I'd say go for it! As long as you have good cat's :cbones:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What did you use? Did you drill into the headers? Damn emission laws dont make any sense to me...

·
Registered
210 Posts
They come with a bung for the EGR tube

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats weird...I called them up and he told me it would NOT work. I had to either get them uncoated, drill, then coat them. Or get a chip to bypass it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think extrude hone is going to get my money. Oh well, thanks!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
My EGR tube bolted right up to the bung in my Kooks... they were coated and I didn't drill a thing....

I'm surprised at whay Bill told you, but he generally doesn't see the headers 'cause they ship direct from Kooks to the coater, then to the customer... He was closely involved in their development and prototype, though...

Try calling Kooks directly.. they are real friendly and certainly know their own product.

What is Extrude-Hone charging for exhaust manifolds???? I know they get $700 for Bullitt intakes... and wanted the same for an SVO....

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just got off the phone with extrude hone. With TCCOA discount it will be about 400 bucks to do both exhaust manifolds from the stock engine. I definitely need to call KOOK's, because what your telling me is the complete opposite of what I heard from SC performance. Your's went in no problem. The EGR tube fit right in there? Is it smog legal for CA?

2 week turnaround time.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Well, for one of the posts above.....I don't know if the JBA's are 50 State legal....but I don know they are proned to cracking.....and aren't much cheaper than the KOOKS headers.

The KOOKS headers aren't much more expensive, and from what I read...are better or more "efficient", and aren't too much more hassel to instal than the JBA's. Only drawback........is the exhaust needs modified / redone to mate with the headers where with the JBA's.....I believe the stock exhaust will bolt right up. THe KOOKS headers DO COME WITH AN EGR bung already installed.....and I checked and the EGR tube does mate with it........but it looks like it could be tight under the hood to get it tightened down. IF you go to www.supercoupeperformance.com , I believe you can see the EGR bung in the picture.

I just got my KOOKS set last Friday, my motor on Sunday, and now in the process of getting it all together. I'll post something on the instal of the KOOKS headers and what went right, and what went wrong...........should be this weekend.

Later
Slowride

·
Registered
2,577 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
HAs anyone tried to install the KOOKS headers on the motor, then re-install the motor from top side??? Is it possible to do this?? I'm going to give it a shot this weekend.

Slowride

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Slowride said:
HAs anyone tried to install the KOOKS headers on the motor, then re-install the motor from top side??? Is it possible to do this?? I'm going to give it a shot this weekend.

Slowride
The word is that because of the length of the headers, this method will not work. You would have to drop the engine in with at a very steep angle, headers first, then roll the engine to square it up, and there isn't enough room between the firewall and the radiator to do this. This is what JL told me after his install and I asked for tips. Perhaps with the radiator removed, but everyone I talked to has put the headers on from under the car with the K-member removed.

FLABIRD may have attempted it from the top, try a PM to him and see...

I did it as described in the thread, on a lift, installing the engine and K-member together with the headers attached from the bottom...

·
Registered
748 Posts
Well, I'd do it by lowering the K-member......but I don't have what I need to lower it far enough....plus I'm getting ready to re-install my re-built motor back in the car.

I guess I'll give it a shot.....even if I have to remove the radiator, since everything is out........that won't take but 5 minutes. It looks like I should be able to......just might have to stay as close to the firewall as possible and take my time. I guess I'll find out Friday. I'll give FLABIRD a hollar and see what he did / says.

Thanks.
Slowride

·
Registered
210 Posts
I think I was one of the first to install the Kooks. We Unbolted the K member and accesories and Lifted the car off the engine. You will not be able to get the headers on with the motor in the car. Try a lift or drop it out. -Rob :cbones:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts