TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Tbird - JO'Neil long block, TFHS trans, Quarterhorse tuned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those of you with the kooks headers, what are you using for downtubes (cat or catless) before you hit a cat back kit like the dynomax one? is it all custom bends?

i need to fab up the entire exhaust after the kooks flanges....if you had to do it over again, what would be the way to go? i would appreciate tips, ideas and pix that show what has been done and works well.

thanks
bill

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
All custom work here, and I wouldn't change a thing. These pictures are old, but the exhaust hasn't really changed.

-Rod

·
Registered
573 Posts
With catless you need a resonator installed to make the exhaust sound smooth through the entire rpm range when the car is moving. Without it, it sounds good when you rev it in the driveway but when you put it in drive it is poo poo. Throttle response is almost zero and as a result your foot is in the throttle 95% of the time. Gas milage is dirt but HP when you floor it @ 65mph is good. But any other time you suck gas like drinking beer. The best solution for our cars has been at our finger tips all along. The flowmaster cat back w/ the flowmaster resonator provides everything we need up to about 300HP. Mandrel tubing, good sound , great torque, fits like a glove, and the price is about $400 to your door + installation. It gives you the best options for cat removal or headers to boot. Then just have a shop fab a down tube. Granted the 2" cat to resonator pipe is small but it does not effect performance on a PI NA car. Our cars are heavy anyway and the only way to get the 4.6L to smoke is take off weight and go with a stick. But with my 4.6L PI setup and 3.55 gears with the flowmasters do a good job.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
i'd change those cats for the spun ceramic itty bitty ones :)

·
Registered
1994 Tbird - JO'Neil long block, TFHS trans, Quarterhorse tuned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rod...that looks pretty nice. is it 2.5 or 3in tubes?

after the cats, its just the 1 magnaflow resonator, eh. i know this is relative, but how loud is it?

on my 95, i have the JBAs and the dynomax kit on mine - resonator and mufflers. also cats. it has a nice rumble but its pretty quiet overall really. i have a single out on the resonator and then it splits.

i looked at the flowmaster kit like ed wrote. it only seems to have the resonator too...no muffs.

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
rod...that looks pretty nice. is it 2.5 or 3in tubes?

after the cats, its just the 1 magnaflow resonator, eh. i know this is relative, but how loud is it?
3" downtubes into the single magnaflow muffler, 2 1/2" pipes through the fuel tank area, then 3" tailpipes.

Here are links to a couple videos, so you can get an idea of how loud it is. Cruising around it's noticeable, and it is quite loud when you start to open the throttle up.

From the stands at Kil-Kare Raceway

In-car at Kil-Kare Raceway

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
My car's current setup is all custom bent.

Street Setup:

Big Kooks headers
3" Down Tube
3" Magnaflow Spun cats
3" Dynomax UltraFlo Bullets( One of the tracks I go to requires mufflers to be run on street cars )
3" X-Pipe just behind the transmission
2.5" Reducer pipes bolted onto X-pipe
2.5" Magnaflow mufflers
2.5" Turn-downs and looks like stock from rear of car.

Race Setup:

Big Kooks headers
3" Down Tube
3" Magnaflow Spun cats
3" Dynomax UltraFlo Bullets
3" X-Pipe just behind the transmission
3" Turn downs

My old setup was all custom:

Kooks Headers
2.5" Downtubes
2.5" Magnaflow Cats
2.5" Tubing, no crossover
2.5" Dynomax UltraFlo mufflers behind rear axle
2.5" Turn downs

I have sitting away is the Mufflers and Downtubes with cats from this exhaust setup. A person here was interested in these but never paid for them. I will likely list these for sale around March when I dig into the garage where these are.

·
Registered
663 Posts
hey rod, did you sandbag at around the 14 second mark on your in-car view? sounded like a lift to me

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
hey rod, did you sandbag at around the 14 second mark on your in-car view? sounded like a lift to me
Nope, that is the TC locking right after the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts.

-Rod

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
my exhaust is exatly as racecougar minus the cats....sometimes i wish i had them, but then again it doesnt get driven that much

1 - 12 of 12 Posts