TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About how much hp gain can i expect from the kooks headers?

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
depends on what other mods you have, it's not easy to say what you'll get. If the stock manifolds are your greatest restriction, then you'll gain more than if you still have factory intake and exhaust.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All i have is K&N intake and Flowmaster 40 series mufflers, im going to install headers (probubly kooks) w/ high flow cats soon. I just wanted to know the expected hp gain from them.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Last Friday I personally watched a 23 rwhp gain from a set of Kooks on the car of one of the guys who works in the shop.

On his Z06 that is :D

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
will long tube headers from a 96 stang bolt on a 96 bird? i want mac headers they said they will bolt on motor but don't know if they will clear frame?:ztoohot:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Nope, won't fit w/o some major modifying. Your best bet is the Kook's. Compared to whats out there, they are worth every penny on the right engine combo.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
there worth evey sinlge penny............buy the kooks.....they help u fill the cup... there quite sexi....and they do gain a good bit of hp....it does depend with mods but they will give you alot more punch

·
Registered
404 Posts
will the kooks install w/o removing the motor?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
JoeyICU said:
there worth evey sinlge penny...........they help u fill the cup...
Bahahawhaa hahaha... Dude, I just shot some rum and coke out my nose. There's something about "they help you fill the cup" that is just so rediculously funny to me.

But seriously, they are in no way an easy install, but can be done with the motor in the car. Plan on many a scraped knuckle and about 8 hours of cursing. Several members here have installed 'em themselves, and maybe they will chime in to give you an idea of the work load. I had the first set out, but Kook's built them on my car, so I can't help you there.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I can't speak to the HP gains from the headers alone. I installed mine along with Renegade PNP heads and saw 25rwhp gain from the two mods, and I suspect 20hp of that was from the heads....

It's the intake, not the exhaust that needs to be opened up to get real gains...

I meet a buddy of mine with a non-ported PI bird and Kooks at the track often, and I am pretty consistently faster... he added a 70mm TB and PNP'd his upper plenum and got a lot closer with that mod... fairness to him I've got race set up drive train, with a looser TC and a beefier trans and can run stickier tires...

If you picture your engine like a pair of lungs, you can only exhale what you inhale, and if you open the exhaust up too much without adding intake, you will lose back pressure and hurt your bottom end torque...

That being said, the Kooks are a great product, but a very tough install here's how I did it:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25154&highlight=kooks+install+with+pix

It is not the only way, for sure.. you can do them in the car (JL and other have done it that way)... but dropping the engine ensures that you will not skin knuckles and you can get a 3/8 drive on all of the header bolts and get em nice and tight (no allen wrench needed) and no chance of screwing up the gaskets.. and you can swap in new engine mounts while your at it...

just my opinion

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
ye jack i pretty much nut when ever i see them on your old car....it make me so want them.....if i hadnt seen them in person on that car and here them when ever when get into the revs with it i dont tihnk id want a set as bad as i do....but its on me to do list.....if i do any exhasut work at all....it will be with a set of kooks headers.....so i dont have to work with the crappy factory manifolds....and there is alot of clearence left with the starter...like JL said....it would be like doing a starter like normal...id recomoned a lift tho.....

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I've done the starter since the Kooks install... it was the one thing I didn't replace while the engine was down..

anyhow it is no harder than with the stock manifold... the top (3rd) bolt in and out is the toughest part and not because of the Kooks.. most guys leave that one out (there are two others) even on the stock install... mine was a little harder cause I have the Mark VIII oil pan, the side sump gets in the way....

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
The Kooks are on my list of "to do's" also. There is a lot of HP waiting to be uncorked in my blown Bird, now I just need to save some cash.

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
To those who have installed the Kooks headers:

How well do they fit the car? Did you have to modify the headers (or anything on the car, for that matter) to get them to fit?

I'm getting ready to purchase a set of headers for my 90 XR7 w/4.6L DOHC. My options are either a set of Kooks 3/4 length headers from www.supercoupeperformance.com, or a set of MAC longtubes for 96-98 Cobras which I will have to modify. I'm really leaning towards the Kooks, especially since I haven't found any MAC's with 3" collectors.

-Rod

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I believe JL is the only one that had an issue with the Kooks fit, and that was on the passenger side, one tube was rubbing up against something, you'd have to check with him. He didn't make a big deal about it, but asked me if I had the same problem

and I didn't:

Mine fit like a glove, literally, there is as little as 1/4" clearance in some places, but they fit around everything.... not by much mind ya, but no alterations on the headers, or car are necessary....

Kooks will make headers for anything you can drive or tow to their shop and have been for years... they are masters at "one-off" custom set ups and usually get over $1000 a set... when someone approached them to make some up for the MN12 as production items, they said "give us a car".. and someone volunteered... they made a one-off custom set for that car, and made the jigs as they went along... so they are specifically designed and manufactured to fit our cars..they had to install the first set themselves and made them up so they could get em on....

The hook-up to the exhuast system is a little challeging, but lots of guys have done it different ways. If you want the pipes to stay proteceted up inside the chassis where the OEM exhaust is designed to be, you have to be a bit creative with your collector downpipe ... and if you want to run cats, even more so cause the 3/4 length brings the collectors pretty low.

There are some pix of mine installed here:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25154&highlight=kooks+install+with+pix

which show some of the clearances from underneath .. and I probably have some other pix that might be informative if you want em, shoot me your e-mail and I'll up-load some to ya...

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
96 Goldbird,

Thanks for the informative response. I couldn't get the link to work, however. If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to see all the pics you have of your header install. My email address is [email protected].

Thanks,
Rod

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
racecougar said:
I couldn't get the link to work, however. If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to see all the pics you have of your header install.
Thanks,
Rod
the link should work now... it'll take me a little while to re-size em for up-load, but I'll get em out to ya....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts