TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Raptor03 said:
Will the Kook's headers for a 4.6 bird work on a 5.4? I'm contemplating an engine swap and I don't want to use stock exhaust manifolds.
Yes, they will bolt up. There is no difference between 4.6 2V heads and 5.4 2V heads. They will probably not fit due to the extra width of the 5.4 engine. Having just yesterday installed a 4.6 with the Kooks headers, I can tell you that it just fits with no room to spare. You practically need a "shoe horn" to get it in!

See this thread!;)

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47599

·
Registered
921 Posts
I have a friend that does machining for college, If he knew how far they were allowed to go out, I'm sure all he'd need would be a gasket for the bolt pattern and the tubes to bend it to shape. Reasonable idea?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
thats not the prob.... the frame would need to be cut, and then rewlded to accomodate the things, and that wouldnt be a good thing in my opinion.... the stock headers (cast Iron) are a b1tch ta fit, require extensive grinding, and you still gotta dimple the frame with a 6lb maul to get a 1/16" clearance, go figure....

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
A few whacks on the frame with a big mallet and some light die grinder duty was all I needed to make the stockers fit. ;) :eek:

Anyhow, it is a fact that the Kooks headers were designed to fit a stock 4.6L and will not fit a 5.4L without mods. You will be better off welding up your own set of headers to insure a fit…. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts