TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking at getting some kooks and I'm not sure which is better coated mild steel or 304 stainless. Any opinions?

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have been running headers for years. Have been running my TBird 5.0 with JBA stainless for 3.5 years and haven't tightened a bolt after the initial break in. First stainsless, first no touch, you decide. I have run several b4 and 2 now with "mild steel" (love that). Called "tighten me now". Daily driver = stainless. Weekend racer = doesn't matter. You'll tear it back down b4 the steel is a problem.

Brad

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I asked about SS Kooks when I bought mine. They were not available. I did, however opt for the JetHot ceramic coating.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Coated, uncoated, and stainless all have there place...

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
I am pretty sure the Kooks for the MN12s are NOT stainless and can NOT be bought in Stainless. If you want Kooks, they are either coated or not...

·
2,118 Posts
Wrong. Kooks come in stainless and coated.
They were not available in Stainless when I bought mine. I know mine are coated in Jet Hot 2000. This was the most expensive option at the time and you had to talk to Bill directly if you wanted this as it was not advertised on the site. However I just checked out Supercoupe performance because I didn't believe you and you are correct, the Kooks are now available in Stainless.

·
Registered
570 Posts
How long do you want them to last? It's quite an investment, and they're a pain to install. I went with SS on all three of my cars.
I am pretty sure the Kooks for the MN12s are NOT stainless and can NOT be bought in Stainless. If you want Kooks, they are either coated or not...
Glad that you looked, because as I stated earlier, I have them on my cars. :D

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
They were not available in Stainless when I bought mine. I know mine are coated in Jet Hot 2000. This was the most expensive option at the time and you had to talk to Bill directly if you wanted this as it was not advertised on the site. However I just checked out Supercoupe performance because I didn't believe you and you are correct, the Kooks are now available in Stainless.
Ass-holes. The would not even consider using Stainless or a heavier gauge tubing when I ordered mine.
JL

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Ass-holes. The would not even consider using Stainless or a heavier gauge tubing when I ordered mine.
JL
Gotta keep selling exhaust headers somehow..... :rofl:

·
2,118 Posts
Gotta keep selling exhaust headers somehow..... :rofl:
I am not laughing... This was something( Stainless or heavier gauge ) that we wanted when these headers came out. We were told at the time they would never do it and we are lucky to have what we have. Many of us bought what we have now as that was our only option. It is like a solid kick in the nuts knowing what we wanted 5 years ago is available now.:zsoapbox:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like the only way to go is stainless then. The flowmaster I have now has holes rusted all over the place which is why I'm getting a new exhaust... dont really want to do it more than once. My next question is the cats... how long should i expect some high flow cats to last? if its not long, would it be better/ cheaper in the long run to not get those in stainless and make that section removable from the rest of the stainless exhaust?

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Business

I'm sorry I was making light of such an expensive investment for y'all. Businesses run the only way they can - to be profitable. It was obviously not profitable at the time with so few shipping to build SS headers. Maybe now the demand has gone up or they're made so many units that they finally decided it would be profitable to manufacture MN12 SS headers.

I never said I like big business practices (please don't get me started), but I do understand somewhat, their mentality and I'm sure you all do too. If you went back to Kooks and say "Hey, we wanted those headers from the git go, and you said you couldn't do it for us. Now, here are you making them left and right!" Maybe, just maybe, they might give you some kind of a credit on your original headers you bought from them.

If it was up to me, I would. But that's why I'll never be rich. I care too much for the consumer.....

·
Banned
613 Posts
you get what you can get when you can get it.

but also. look at the custom wheel shop for example. he had all his wheels in chrome, gunmetal, some stupid hyper silver etc. but didnt have the stuff everyone really wanted and complained about. for the past few months weve been pounding his head about plain silver wheels..and now were getting them...finally lol

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=121077

1 - 20 of 38 Posts