TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,I found the un-insulated wires that caused the cooling fan relay to send the fans flying, and cut out the pump and computer too. There is an electrical branch that drops out of the main bundle that also rests nearly against the passenger cylinder head. It is a fabric insulated run that has three wires inside. When I cut through the fabric, the still insulated three wires were glued to each other from heat. They ran for about an inch and a half affixed, then they ran for about two inches with no insulation at all, and then continue fully insulated down to "wherever". Apparently, the three bare wires had a small air gap between them until I decided to disrupt everything by moving them around for my pi intake manifold swap. The touching caused my problem, and just spreading them appart made everything right again. I will re-insulate and re-cover the whole package by the weekend.
But, for the past two years, I have had a wierd cut-out problem where my engine would do a complete shut down for a split second and then be ok again. This would happen maybe once every other month. Guess what it must have been!
Anyway, the main reason for the follow up is that a lot of 1996 and 1997 T-birds have the potential for the same problem! The heat of the cylinder head is a fraction of an inch from the routing of the tri-wire bundle,and my insulation had to have melted off over time. Actually, as many as all 96-97 birds may wind up with the same electrical problems in time. I opened my main bundle, but one need only scissor cut the fabric three wire branch running down towards the bellhousing to make an observation. I owe it all to Bangster's three year old post.

·
Registered
190 Posts
those were the wires going to o2 sensor surprised that you did not ever flag codes but that is the idea of intermittents, great job!!

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Awesome, glad you got it back on the road! Besides me and you, there was one other person that I talked to that had his car shutting off randomly while driving. It all fit exactly with my situation, and it was the same two wires. Very weird if you ask me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Wires are your friends..... 'till the're not!

Ed, can we get a pic of that before you close it up?

Moderators, should this become a tech article? Or?

And yeah, kudo's for sticking with it, think I'll scrutinize my wiring soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts