TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These will cost me the same, about $5 apart from one another. Which is a better shock for someone that does a lot of both city and highway driving, but occasionally likes the backroad aggressive driving. Longevity is important as well.

BTW, currently on stock springs, but if I ever find a set of SC, or lower springs, they would be on the car.

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
Both are relatively cheap shocks. I've used the KYB GR2's on a few of my MN12's now, and I can at least say that they're worth the money.

I don't have any experience with the Monroe's.

-Rod

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
sell ya my Sport springs when i get to lowering my car?

·
Registered
76 Posts
racecougar said:
Both are relatively cheap shocks. I've used the KYB GR2's on a few of my MN12's now, and I can at least say that they're worth the money.

I don't have any experience with the Monroe's.

-Rod
Just put GR2's on my 95 Mark p/n 344110. The sleeve on the bottom leaves a 1/2 inch space on both sides of the rubber bushing, is that right? Did I get the wrong shock, & if so, should I exchange them or add spacers? At this point there is absoluty nothing pressing on the sides of the bushing. Info needed asap, if possible. Thanks, Ed :confused:

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
big ed said:
Just put GR2's on my 95 Mark p/n 344110. The sleeve on the bottom leaves a 1/2 inch space on both sides of the rubber bushing, is that right? Did I get the wrong shock, & if so, should I exchange them or add spacers? At this point there is absoluty nothing pressing on the sides of the bushing. Info needed asap, if possible. Thanks, Ed :confused:
Ed, I'm not really sure what you're talking about. Could you post a pic?

The shock shouldn't be able to move around on the bolt that attaches it to the lower control arm. If it can, then you need a spacer in there.

-Rod

·
Registered
76 Posts
Will try & post Friday. The bushing on the bottom has a metal sleeve going through it, for the bolt, that sticks out 1/2 inch on either side of the bushing. I have not seen this before. But the sleeve hits the washer between it & the control arm on one side & the head of the bolt, with built in washer, on the other. Like an upside down "T", with nothing pressing against the bushing at the bottom of the shock. I've emailed KYB & will call them in the morning. My guess is that at least some arrangement of spacers is required. But if I have the wrong shocks at least it is a quick job to change. Niether the shock or the bushing will move right now but with no compression on the bushing I am concerened that over time the bushing will give way to one or both sides, i.e. get sloppy. Ed

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
Ed,

It sounds like it is set up correctly. I'd post up a pic of the KYB's on one of my cars, but the member pages are all screwed up right now.

-Rod

·
Registered
76 Posts
Shocks on, struts should be on next week, will let you know my KYB experience then. Shocks feel very good. I have heard that Cobras shocks are very stiff, I do not personally know. After all what is stiff to one person may not be to another. Ed :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts