TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone using the kyb gr-2 shocks with the twin tube design. i'm in the process of doing a major suspension overhaul so far all shocks are blown and on the back i have eibachs installed and i am waiting to do the front ones when i get a set of shocks because there is no way in hell im going to do the same job twice essentially.

here's a link to them
rear
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=KYB-344110&FROM=MG
front
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=KYB-235005&FROM=MG

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sweet. i was so stoked when i saw 23.xx for them then i saw how much the front ones where and cried. those stupid shock/struts suck money wise.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice i have to waietr another 2 weeks or so for my next paycheck to afford the front ones at least :( so for now its just buying a vanity plates and shorter sway bar links

·
Registered
97 Posts
anyone using the kyb gr-2 shocks with the twin tube design. i'm in the process of doing a major suspension overhaul so far all shocks are blown and on the back i have eibachs installed and i am waiting to do the front ones when i get a set of shocks because there is no way in hell im going to do the same job twice essentially.

here's a link to them
rear
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=KYB-344110&FROM=MG
front
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=KYB-235005&FROM=MG

front says will not fit V8 didn't know if you noticed.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
v8_superbirdy,

Get the Tokico "blues" instead of the KYBs. I ran them on my '97 Sport when it was still a daily driver, and was very pleased with them. We put a set of KYB GR-2s on my old '87 TurboCoupe, and they were a big disappointment.

·
Registered
283 Posts
MikeB, did you first have the original Sport shocks on your '97? What kind of difference, if any, did you notice between the Sport shocks, which you can't get anymore, and the Tokico Blues?

Thanks

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if anyone wants my old sport springs make me an offer i'm loving the way ti handles already with the eibachs just on the rear. as for the tokicco how much are a set for the front for those?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
J_Mac57,

Compared to the factory shocks, the Tokico blues had firmer damping / better ride control. Also importantly, they held up better over time. I think both sets I ran lasted 40,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I've had KYB's on my bird for the past two years... no problems whatsoever, I love em.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went the cheap alternative way on my SC and put KYB's on all four corners and I was very disappointed. the car feels loose and bouncey, will try koni's next.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I have a set of KYB GR2's and I am fine with them. Then again, I live where there are lots of potholes and the shocks I had previous were totally destroyed. They're firm enough for me to outhandle a 350Z.

I got mine on rockauto.com for cheap.

edit: if you wanna see what they feel like, we can get together somewhere and I can show just how well a bird can handle. I hope you can keep your lunch down. ;)

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a set of KYB GR2's and I am fine with them. Then again, I live where there are lots of potholes and the shocks I had previous were totally destroyed. They're firm enough for me to outhandle a 350Z.

I got mine on rockauto.com for cheap.

edit: if you wanna see what they feel like, we can get together somewhere and I can show just how well a bird can handle. I hope you can keep your lunch down. ;)
i would love to meet up and find some fellow tbirders out here i run with a few that can be knuckle heads sometimes but so can i :). i just got back inside from putting the rear shocks on.

on a side note pepboys cheesed be off. they refuse to compress the spring onto the shock strut for me. so i have to drive down to a different place to have them compressed. im excited to feel these bad boys. the only way they said they do it if it was a full install at 230 bucks a spring and shock combo.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
i would love to meet up and find some fellow tbirders out here i run with a few that can be knuckle heads sometimes but so can i :). i just got back inside from putting the rear shocks on.

on a side note pepboys cheesed be off. they refuse to compress the spring onto the shock strut for me. so i have to drive down to a different place to have them compressed. im excited to feel these bad boys. the only way they said they do it if it was a full install at 230 bucks a spring and shock combo.
Fewer places are doing this side work I'm noticing. Midas here wanted $150 just to r/r springs, they charge extra because its "your part". Must be liability.

·
Registered
14 Posts
well, I posted in earlier thread, I have ab SC and put the KYB's on car, I did not like the result and went ahead a and bought the adjustable shocks and now I am happy. I have these KYB gr-2 with just about 20 miles on them. Anyone want to buy them can do so for $125 plus shipping. These are for front and rear. I do not have enough posts to put in the "for sale" section. Thses are brand new.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts