1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
7,490 Posts
WOW! That is literally something right out of Mad Max! I can't say I blame the driver of the Land Rover. That many bikes swarming you like that for no reason, and on all sides, an accident was bound to happen, and when it did, who wouldn't be afraid! I would say though if I was the driver, I would have dialed 911 from the car and told them exactly where I was and where I was heading, and to send in the cavalry!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
From the story I read and the video I saw, one of the mob cut the range rover off and caused the accident. When he stopped, they became violent which led him to his decision. I'd do the same for my wife and child. This is the reason I ride alone or with a couple buddies. Never a pack.

·
Super Moderator
16,821 Posts
Sorry to generalize, but bikers, particularly on crotch rockets, riding in packs like that = trouble. Period. It's gang activity, no matter how much they try and rationalize it, and law enforcement should treat it as such.

God damn right I'd do the same thing.

·
Super Moderator
11,918 Posts
I still haven't watched the video but I'm glad it was released.

I really feel for the guy and his family in the Range Rover. I'd have been scared to death too if a pack of bikers surrounded me and my family like that ...

Well, they've charged one of the bikers and another is in critical condition & paralyzed from the incident. The third biker - who smashed the Range Rover window in with his helmet turned himself in. It'll be interesting to see how this story plays out. I hope there are many, many more charges against the bikers involved.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/01/20772232-1-biker-charged-another-critical-in-nyc-range-rover-chase?lite

More videos of the incident here ....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/30/bikers-assault-suv-driver_n_4016951.html

A big part of the problem is the pathetic license plate requirements for bikes. Those tiny plates that bikes are issued are a joke. Making identification of bikes - even when the plates are properly displayed - a joke. Riders think they're immune to identification (anonymous) and act accordingly.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
A big part of the problem is the pathetic license plate requirements for bikes. Those tiny plates that bikes are issued are a joke. Making identification of bikes - even when the plates are properly displayed - a joke. Riders think they're immune to identification (anonymous) and act accordingly.
... or these future organ donors have the opinion that they can outrun any cops before being identified. It always amuses me when you see bikes with the license plates tucked underneath the rear seat in the rear wheel well -- I'm surprised no cop gives them a ticket because no one could ever read the plate once the cyclist is in place and the rear suspension is compressed.

Here in SF, we have this annoying monthly event called Critical Mass. Downtown SF gets shut down the last Fri of every month as the bicycles swarm the streets - running redlights en masse, snarling traffic, and even biking the wrong way (further screwing things up). I'd be OK with their pace (which like traffic during rush hour on these streets is never fast anyway) if they actually obeyed traffic laws but I'm surprised no one has gone all Carmageddon on these guys yet.
-g

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Here in SF, we have this annoying monthly event called Critical Mass. Downtown SF gets shut down the last Fri of every month as the bicycles swarm the streets - running redlights en masse, snarling traffic, and even biking the wrong way (further screwing things up). I'd be OK with their pace (which like traffic during rush hour on these streets is never fast anyway) if they actually obeyed traffic laws but I'm surprised no one has gone all Carmageddon on these guys yet.
-g
LOL .. I totally forgot about that, I didnt know they still had that event. I got stuck in critical stupidity once here in Campbell about 7 years ago I was just trying to get home from work and it wasnt so bad with the stop lights because they actually stopped for them .. but by the time I got to the back streets, and had to wait 15 minutes as a procession of morons blocked me in with their neon bicycle parade, I finally just cut in through their traffic and became the "jerk" :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
10,404 Posts
People here have carry permits; that would have ended very differently.

I'd have been doing donuts thru the crowd, lol.

Here, more than 3 on 1 is considered the line when you can 'justifiably' use lethal force to defend yourself; this was his wife and child as well.

A land rover fits that bill; a M60 is a bit big for a carry gun.... [|:I) <-------(like my Heisenberg non-smiley?)

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
A land rover fits that bill; a M60 is a bit big for a carry gun.... [|:I) <-------(like my Heisenberg non-smiley?)
.. youre not really carrying it if its solid mounted in the trunk on a garage door opener. :tongue:

·
Super Moderator
10,404 Posts
.. youre not really carrying it if its solid mounted in the trunk on a garage door opener. :tongue:
That would teach those tailgating morons...

:D

(j/k)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts