TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,871 Posts
We're all gonna die!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BXzugu39pKM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Interesting field of study, to say the least. The size of the...ah, machine, and some of the numbers they play with are truly mind-boggling. Almost 12 trillion volts! Not to mention the principle theories of research, in and of itself.

I wonder. Do they actually plan to smash particles together with such force that the energy compresses space to such a state that a point of singularity is created? Or will the model somehow mimic the phenomenon, or in some way show evidence of such? Like knowing the wind is blowing 'cause the leaves are rustling. Probably the latter... And some ludicrous math migraines, lol.

Here's some comprehension trivia: Such physicist measure the elapse of time when a sub-atomic particle is an actual reality, in a trillionth of a second. Which is a picosecond. Consider this: There have been more picoseconds in the last second; than there have been seconds in the the past 31,500 years.

But it doesn't stop there. A femtosecond is .0000000000000001 (10 -15) of a second. Or, 1 millionth of a billionth of a second. There have been more femtoseconds in the past second than there have been seconds in tens of millions of years. And the ever elusive attosecond. One quintillionth (10 -18 ) of a second. Yeah, count back billions of years.

So if they do in fact actually create a Swiss black hole, it probably wont be around for very long to swallow up the solar system. The screen writers will have to come up with some sort of self-perpetuating black hole run away chain reaction, lol...

Thanks for the post. I wasn't aware of their state of the "moment" endeavors.

·
Super Moderator
10,303 Posts
The wild thing is the some of the safety systems, ever heard of a Beam Dump?

http://edgeofphysics.com/blog/down-in-the-dumps-how-the-lhc-deals-with-runaway-beams

This is the only element in the LHC that can withstand the impact of the full beam.
The block is a cylinder of graphite composite eight meters long and one meter in diameter, which is encased in concrete. As it absorbs the beam energy, it becomes very hot but does not melt. This size allows to spread out the hadronic showers over a large volume.
When it is time to get rid of the beams (also in case of emergency!) , the beams are ‘kicked’ out of the ring by a system of kicker magnets and send into a dump block.

One of my friends was at CERN when they did a beam dump; he said it sounded like a freight train ran into a solid building. :)

The LHC is Way bigger.

:)

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I live across the river in Delaware from TMI. I guess it's not gonna help me much to move away from it to the hills of West Virginia, is it? :rolleyes:. Think I'll here and feel the "Bang" from here? :D

·
Super Moderator
16,759 Posts
Humanity better benefit from this with some sort consumer teleportation, time travel, or anti gravity device. This whole Collider thing just seems like an extremely expensive toy just for math/physics nerds to masturbate to :tongue:

·
Super Moderator
10,303 Posts
Such physicist measure the elapse of time when a sub-atomic particle is an actual reality, in a trillionth of a second. Which is a picosecond. Consider this: There have been more picoseconds in the last second; than there have been seconds in the the past 31,500 years.
I design electronics for Nuclear Event detectors; the last board that I designed had traces on it aligned within a picosecond of each other.

When I play in the Lab, I play with Antimatter! :) (Positrons)

Electricity (Current) flows about 160pS per inch on a circuit board... :)

Light travels about 11.4" in a NanoSecond (1x10^-9) in air at STP; so it runs about a foot a nanosecond.

Trippy to think about. :)

I replaced an ADC on a board this week using a syringe of solder paste, a heat gun, and a thermocouple.

125Msps, 4 channels, about the size of my index fingernail. :eek:

The syringe has a 5mil needle; it's not sharp, but...
Solder is really bad for you, I've heard. :)

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Greg only the Pb based and thanks to the EU that is all gone now... :D

·
Super Moderator
4,888 Posts
Bowez - it's not ALL gone, I still have some I use for soldering repairs *grins*

RwP

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Humanity better benefit from this with some sort consumer teleportation, time travel, or anti gravity device. This whole Collider thing just seems like an extremely expensive toy just for math/physics nerds to masturbate to :tongue:
The purpose of research can be a complicated issue and varies across different scientific fields and disciplines. At the most basic level, science can be split, loosely, into two types, 'pure research' and 'applied research'.

Both of these types follow the same structures and protocols for propagating and testing hypotheses and predictions, but vary slightly in their ultimate purpose.

An excellent example for illustrating the difference is by using pure and applied mathematics. Pure maths is concerned with understanding underlying abstract principles and describing them with elegant theories. Applied maths, by contrast, uses these equations to explain real life phenomena, such as mechanics, ecology and gravity.

Pure Scientific Research

Some science, often referred to as 'pure science', is about explaining the world around us and trying to understand how the universe operates. It is about finding out what is already there without any greater purpose of research than the explanation itself. It is a direct descendant of philosophy, where philosophers and scientists try to understand the underlying principles of existence.

Whilst offering no direct benefits, pure research often has indirect benefits, which can contribute greatly to the advancement of humanity. I doubt that anyone could have predicted, at the time, the effect that the discovery of the electron would ultimately have on the world.

For example, pure research into the structure of the atom has led to x-rays, nuclear power and silicon chips. Consumer teleportation, time travel, or anti gravity devices, and I will add, anti-inertia devices may very will be accurate predictions for the pure research being conducted at CERN/LHC.

Applied Scientific Research

Applied scientists might look for answers to specific questions that help humanity, for example medical research or environmental studies. Such research generally takes a specific question and tries to find a definitive and comprehensive answer.

The purpose of research is about testing theories, often generated by pure science, and applying them to real situations, addressing more than just abstract principles.

Applied scientific research can be about finding out the answer to a specific problem, such as 'is death by our current means of personalized transportation avoidable' or 'Does a new type of medicine really help the patients?'

·
Super Moderator
16,759 Posts
Yeah yeah yeah, is there a deadline to all this? I say hurry up and squirt out some badass toys from the results of the hardon collider already! Thing's been pumping away for 5 years now!:tongue:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Hey come on. Give the guys a break huh... It took five years to research and develop the new stay on flip tops for cans. No joke... five freaking years, lol. And these guys aren't doing something simple like taking years to make grandpa's car shift slower.:tongue:

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
... and my budget was much much lower :D
We will see.

Ralph, I know some one who has some too....

Applied science is where the Engineers step in.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Pretty cool. I think they'll definitely fnd something. Hell even I was skeptical they would confirm the existence of the Higgs Boson within my lifetime, yet there it is---partly the reason the electron has mass yet no size (point particle).

Had Bush Sr. not cancelled the near-Dallas,Tx-based Superconducting Super Collider in the early 90s, we'd already have been at the next frontier, with the then-proposed dual-20 TeV proton beams that would have made the LHC look like a toy.

I wonder. Do they actually plan to smash particles together with such force that the energy compresses space to such a state that a point of singularity is created? Or will the model somehow mimic the phenomenon, or in some way show evidence of such? Like knowing the wind is blowing 'cause the leaves are rustling. Probably the latter... And some ludicrous math migraines, lol.
A cross of both. The evidence is usually collect by examining the remains of the actual production, just as the Higgs Boson. The key is to identify the exact way "the leaves are rustling", which implies that the "wind is blowing". This is where the statistical data collection becomes paramount. Just as elementary particle production is sometimes not witnessed because they decay too fast, small black holes are predicted to also decay out of existence (evaporate) on their own due to fluctuations in the quantum vacuum, but the decay products (other "more stable" elementary particles with predicted velocities/trajectories/energies), can be easily measured by the ATLAS detector. The great Stephen Hawking "proved" in the 70's a theorem about the laws of Black Hole Dynamics, that curiously were in-parallel with the laws of Thermodynamics---they had the same exact "form", but in the language of black hole quantum mechanics. There is where the possibility that black holes can vanish on their own first came about.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I find the search for the Higgs Boson like String Theory, a matter of Faith and Philosophy. Boson is not observed just believed evidence of what it might have been; String has no way for being tested, proved or disproved. If this is the direction of science how is it any different than religion?

Yes I do like how String theory explains some things.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
I find the search for the Higgs Boson like String Theory, a matter of Faith and Philosophy. Boson is not observed just believed evidence of what it might have been; String has no way for being tested, proved or disproved. If this is the direction of science how is it any different than religion?

Yes I do like how String theory explains some things.
Very true. Which also brings about the question of "what is an observation?". We can't see individual electrons nor protons with our own eyes, only other evidence of them, such as kinetic energy and momentum, which are "measurable". I think it's just a matter of [a long] time before we will be able to see (detect) them. There is very much a faith aspect to it all, to believe in the instruments that we have created and trust that they are detecting what we believe they they are detecting.

·
Super Moderator
11,871 Posts
Very true. Which also brings about the question of "what is an observation?". We can't see individual electrons nor protons with our own eyes, only other evidence of them, such as kinetic energy and momentum, which are "measurable". I think it's just a matter of [a long] time before we will be able to see (detect) them. There is very much a faith aspect to it all, to believe in the instruments that we have created and trust that they are detecting what we believe they they are detecting.
Well said. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts