TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I've been searching around a little bit but haven't quite found exactly what i was looking for. I have been having some small problems with my engine's electronics, i have a feeling it is the MAF. I have not yet decided if i am just going to get the stock sized FORD MAF or a larger FORD MAF (seems as though people have problems with aftermarket calibrated MAF). I have also discovered in my searches that if i do go to a larger MAF i have to have a tune for it. It also seems as if people say that the throttle response is much better with a larger MAF. My question is, is there an actual power/torque increase with the larger MAF? Or is it just the throttle response improved? Thanks alot for any help

·
Super Moderator
12,233 Posts
the maf only reports the airflow, as it sees it, to the EEC......the tune is what really gives the extra power........if you get a newer style maf like the 2002+ mustang GT maf or the 80mm or 90mm Lightning MAF, then part of that power from the tune can be attributed to the MAF's electronics being calibrated more accurately, thus being able to run at the actual air/fuel ratio that the tuner commands in the EEC's open-loop fuel table, as well as the correct spark........this is because spark depends on the engine's instantaneous volumetric efficiency (load), which is calculated in-part from the MAF signal

so i guess the answer is, IF the newer maf you choose to install is more accurate in reporting airflow to the EEC, and if it's range is used within the airflow capabilities of the engine, then yes the MAF may be considered a power adding component only in conjuction with a proper tune....albeit, it will be very very small on a stock(ish) vehicle......the actual size of the larger maf housing is not what would be responsible for any additional power whatsoever

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.