TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever successfully installed 285/40-17 tires in the rear of a stock ride heighth MN12? If so, what had to be modified?

Nitto says their 555 tire in that size can be mounted on a 9" wide rim, which is available for the MN12.

·
Registered
974 Posts
It would probably fit ok. Nitto's generally run narrow so it may be more quilivant to a 265 or 275 of another brand. You may have to do a fender roll depending on the offset of your rims to ensure to rubbing even over large bumps.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
95BLKLSC:

Did you get your Cobra R's from Custom Wheel Market? How did they fit? Was the quality good?

·
Registered
974 Posts
nope, got them from cudaz101. His service is great, rims are great, not once complaint. He even sent me a new center cap when mine was damaged and lost. If I'm ever buying another set of wheels he's the guy I'm going to talk to first.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which finish did you get, and how much did you pay? Also, what backspacing are you running?

·
Registered
974 Posts
I got the polished finish. At the time it was 150 +20 shipping per rim. He always has he best deal. I'm sure his prices are different now, maby lower even. He's VERY competive as far as price, usually the best. They have a 36mm offset, they are close in front, but havent' rubbed once. You do need to run stick on weighs because clip on's may get ripped off by the front spindals.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You've probably covered this in another note somewhere, but what tire sizes are you running front and rear on those 17x9's?

Also, is your car lowered?

·
Registered
974 Posts
yea my car is lowered maby 2-3 inches, but it's adjustable with the module 8 and the air ride. I'm runnign 245/45/17 in the front and 275/40/17 in the rear. I did have some rubbing so I rented a fender rolling tool that bolts to the hub and rolled the rear inner fender lip in. the rears no longer rub on large bumps or dips. I can completely drop my car to the ground. But also remember t-birds have a little bit different body panel geometry in back, you might be able to get away with 275's without a fender roll, I know soem have.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I chatted with a guy at SPL Parts about the fender rolling tool. How easy was it to use? Did you damage your paint at all?

·
Registered
974 Posts
It was easy to use, just go slowly and don't roll it too much. If you have a heat gun and can warm up the paint it will reduce or eliminate cracking. I got some where the paint was really stressed but it's not visible unless you stick your head inside the wheel well. The best thing to do is just mask it off and paint it when you are done. But like I said it's only on the inside. If you do it right there shouldn't be any visiable change from the outside. SPL parts is where I rented from too, very good guys to deal with.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Tires

I had a 90 SC that I had 285 40 17s in the rear with a 38mm offset , looked great and was lowered too . My 90SC I have now has 295 35 18s in back , but their to big I think , have to ride in firm all the time so it wont rub . DW

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ballman,

Were those 285s on 17"x9" wheels?

·
Registered
275 Posts
wheels

Mike , Yes I think that was the size, 17x9 . looked great , super nice 89 loaded SC I had from Cali. had too many and sold a few cars . Send me a e-mail and will send ya a photo of the car , shows what the car looks like with the 285s on the rear and lowered . I was running BF Comp. T/A zr tires . DW

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I have 285's on my car. The look pretty good, but would look better with a +36mm offset rather than the +24mm offset that I have right now. I get quite a bit of response from people with musclecars that ride in behind me...kind of unexpected I guess. My car is lowered and I put AirLift Air bags in the rear springs but I only keep 5 psi in the bags. I rolled the fender just slightly but it only rubbed on really harsh bumps anyway.

Russell

·
Registered
2,936 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very nice look! Which wheels are those? What tire size in front?

·
Registered
81 Posts
96bird said:
I have 285's on my car. The look pretty good, but would look better with a +36mm offset rather than the +24mm offset that I have right now. I get quite a bit of response from people with musclecars that ride in behind me...kind of unexpected I guess. My car is lowered and I put AirLift Air bags in the rear springs but I only keep 5 psi in the bags. I rolled the fender just slightly but it only rubbed on really harsh bumps anyway.

Russell

How much more room would you say you have on the inside of the rear? Inn other words, how much more positive offset could you have before your wheel/tires hit the swaybar or e-brake?

By the way, love those ROH RT's. I just wish they still made them in chrome.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
MikeB said:
Very nice look! Which wheels are those? What tire size in front?
As crash pointed out they are ROH RTs. I have 255/45's in the front.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
crash said:
How much more room would you say you have on the inside of the rear? Inn other words, how much more positive offset could you have before your wheel/tires hit the swaybar or e-brake?

By the way, love those ROH RT's. I just wish they still made them in chrome.
I have a decent amount, but if you want to put a real big tire on there I would suggest 18" wheels to prevent any problems with the e-brake cable. Mine rubs the e-brake cable as it is. I can measure to see how much it is but I would say that a 10" wheel with the right offset would fit easy.

Russell

1 - 20 of 35 Posts